Need help picking a good Blu-Ray burner, or telling if mine is even broken

Thread: Need help picking a good Blu-Ray burner, or telling if mine is even broken

Unhappy Need help picking a good Blu-Ray burner, or telling if mine is even broken

Back in 2012 I bought an Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray burner for my new build. I started having a few issues with it recognizing disks, and read that it was actually a re-branded Lite On iHBS112-2. The Lite On version had newer firmware updates so I followed a guide to flash it to that.

It worked fine... for the most part, but lately it has been giving me issues again. Namely in regards to being unable to read the contents of a disk. It knows a disk is in the drive, but it thinks it is empty, even when I use tools like Imgburn to check that it is not and even verify a successful burn. The firmware has not been updated since 2012 even for Lite On.

So I have been shopping around for a replacement in case it is a hardware problem.

The ones which caught my attention were the LG WH14NS40 and WH16NS40 (Pretty much the exact same drive, except one supports slightly faster speeds).

Problem is, when reading the reviews on Newegg, I see a fair amount of negative reviews with the EXACT same issue:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136250

Namely.... that it stops reading Blu-Ray disks after a while.

Does anyone have any experience with Blu-Ray burners? Are ANY of them decent? I don't want to install a new drive just to have the same headache over again.

And for that matter.... is it even a hardware issue, or something wrong with Windows? Windows can see that a disk is in the drive, even a dual-layer disk.... but thinks it's empty. Trying to open it just gets me a blank drive, but ImgBurn can see that there is data on the drive and was even able to perform a successful verify. Windows can definitely tell the difference between there being a disk in the drive and none, even tell if it's a pressed or writable disk, but thinks the disk is blank when it's not.
    "A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation..." - William Faulkner

A couple specs of dust and cause the no can read issue.

You might want to consider a "Blu-ray Disc Laser Lens Cleaner" kit.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

If a fingerprint can mess up a dvd, double bet it really fouls up a blue ray. So clean the disk.

Seems to be a software issue, Windows just plain won't mount the disk, tools like ImgBurn can read the disk just fine.
    "A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. On my desk I have a workstation..." - William Faulkner

Thread Information