Are all SD cards interchangeable in devices?

Thread: Are all SD cards interchangeable in devices?

Are all SD cards interchangeable in devices?

I am in the process of buying a camera for me and my better half and we have been looking on line for the ones we like and can afford.

Although we both understand that the capacity of the SD card is as Gig's etc and the prices of the SD cards basically are determined by the capacity of the card. There are so many brands out there to select from and this makes our decision on the proper SD card kind of hard to figure.

We have yet to select the cameras that we want to purchase but what ever the brands or models of the cameras we will need an SD card (or more) for each camera. We would like to be able to purchase SD cards that are interchangeable with the cameras.

We understand how to figure capacities as I have said but what confuses us is that there are so many on the market that we can't figure out which ones to buy and if one SD card will be interchangeable with the other camera. Do we have to look for any technical information on the SD card to be sure that it is compatible with the cameras. Or are they basically all the same and the only things we have to consider when purchasing the SD cards is the capacity and maybe the name brand as being one better than the other.

Any advise would be appreciated. As I said we have not selected any cameras yet but figured before we went shopping online for them we would learn about the SD cards we would need. Also, I would assume that any SD card can be read from a laptop with the SD card adapter inserted in the laptop. We both have the slots for SD on our laptops so that should not be a factor.

Thanks

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    SD and SDHC are all compatible with most all cameras. Except those that still use the Compact card (called CF). The best brand I've found are Sandisk. And they have a lifetime warranty. These are what I use in my Pentax DSLR cameras. And I've never had to use the warranty service.

When researching cameras make sure they can use the SDHC cards. This means they are higher capacity than SD cards which only go as far as 8GB, while SDHC can handle up to 32GB.

Yes, they can be read on a laptop, since your lappers are new and run Windows 10 they should be able to read the SDHC cards as well.

You will also need to find out the Class the camera requires.
    http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/stora...ings-explained

Faster cards in a still image camera will also mean being able to take more or faster photos in burst mode, as these can be written to the card far quicker. Class 10 cards are usually not much more expensive so it's worth paying the extra.
    Yes, I use Class 10 cards.

Thanks photolady and train for the shared knowledge

Your explanations helped me understand a bit more what I am looking at and what to look for when buying the card and a camera.

I will have to reread it a few times but it should give me a pretty good starting point.

Much appreciated!!

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    You're welcome. I also use class 10 cards.

Thread Information