[RESOLVED] Unable to Re-instal back Wndows XP ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Unable to Re-instal back Wndows XP ?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Unable to Re-instal back Wndows XP ?

Please help ! I have a odd problem. Current status:

Fujitsu T2010 32bit
    No CD Rom drives
    HDD 500GB installed a few months ago
    Came installed with Windows Vista
    Subsequent upgraded to Windows 7 and over a month ago,
    Windows Update prompted upgrade to Windows 10 and done successfully.
    Now unable to roll back to Windows7 as upgrade is over a month ago.
    Reason wishing to roll back...new Windows 10 too unproductive as too much new things to learn and not getting on with what I wanted to do with my work. Gotten used to XP after so many years using it even though its no longer supported by MS.

Today:
    Tried to installed Windows XP from my Windows XP with SP3 DVD disk using a external USB DVD Rom drive attached.
    On bootup, after downloading Windows Setup program from the DVD disk, it says no drives detected
    Option to install 1) external drive by pressing S or
    2) Press Enter to continue.

Pressing S gave few options of external hard drive brands (I think). Choose Others as my LiteOn USB hard drive option is not given on the list.
    It says cannot continue because no Hard Drive detected.

Tried installing Windows XP on USB Flash drive. After boot up, it says C drive partition have 978MB of MBR and too small for Windows XP
    Tried to delete the partition. After deleted, Unpartitioned drive about same capacity - about 978MB or a little more. Stil insufficient space to install Win XP
    But HDD is 500GB and only have Win10 operating systems on it.
    So cannot continue with XP installation.

Any reason why this happens and how to overcome it ? Any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks
    Last edited by slickcondo; July 12th, 2016 at 12:22 PM.

To install XP on that machine, you may need to load device drivers to see the hard drive using the F6 method, assuming that you have them available on external media.

Links:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...for+xp+install

Why are you loading XP (which is no longer supported? If you have install media for Vista or Windows 7, you should use that instead to avoid this driver issue and have support.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    To install XP on that machine, you may need to load device drivers to see the hard drive using the F6 method, assuming that you have them available on external media.

Links:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...for+xp+install

Why are you loading XP (which is no longer supported? If you have install media for Vista or Windows 7, you should use that instead to avoid this driver issue and have support.
    Thank you for your very quick reply. I have been reading some of the articles you gave in the link and will try the suggestions there. Will post back when I have overcome this problem successfully. Many thanks.

As to your question why I am still using XP, its the one that gives me the most productive output for my work as I am used to it for many years. The newer systems may be good, but I have to keep stopping my work to find the functions I needed as these are either no longer available or in a new location. Very annoying and distracting.

My work does not require more modern graphics that these newer systems are providing, so does not impact on my daily work requirements. At least I can get on with my work without being interrupted here and there locating what I wanted. It's usaully a link after another link after another.....
    Last edited by slickcondo; July 12th, 2016 at 01:28 PM.

Did you check if there are XP drivers available for that system? If it came with Vista, then Fujitsu probably doesn't have XP drivers.

Tried installing Windows XP on USB Flash drive.
    You can't install XP on a flash drive in normal mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Did you check if there are XP drivers available for that system? If it came with Vista, then Fujitsu probably doesn't have XP drivers.

You can't install XP on a flash drive in normal mode.
    Yes, I have checked Fujitsu website and they provide drivers for XP.

OK, I found out about not able to use a flash drive to install.

I have just downloaded the SATA driver onto a floppy as the link suggested by jdc2000 (yes, still have a mint condition floppy drive and quite a few empty floppy diskette ), but now the laptop I am trying to install XP is not detecting the diskette in the A drive. It keep saying

...Insert the disk labeled: Manufacturer-supplied hardware support disk into drive A.....Press ENTER when ready

and when I did that with the driver in the diskette connected to USB, it keep coming up with the same message after pressing ENTER.

Also, I now have to boot up with my XP DVD disk connected to the USB DVD drive. Without this, the system just showed the Fujitsu logo and then a blank black screen with only a cursor showing....so....Ooops ! What next please ?

LATEST: I just rebooted and after Windows Setup loaded the files from the DVD, I selected the option S to install other drivers and after pressing ENTER (from my reply to Midkynte). it says ..
    The file txdtsetup.oem could not be found.....

Pressing any key to continue brings me back to the original options ...Press S or Enter to continue.

Pressing Enter restart the Windows Setup loading process.....

Tried installing Windows XP on USB Flash drive.
    You said you installed ON a flash drive, not FROM. Very different.

XP came on a CD, not DVD. Sounds like you did a slipstream.

txtsetup.oem is part of the drivers for the F6 option. That means you don't have the proper drivers.

Did you check the BIOS and make sure the hard drive is set to IDE mode? AHCI won't work unless you have the F6 drivers.

You said you installed ON a flash drive, not FROM. Very different.

XP came on a CD, not DVD. Sounds like you did a slipstream.

txtsetup.oem is part of the drivers for the F6 option. That means you don't have the proper drivers.

Did you check the BIOS and make sure the hard drive is set to IDE mode? AHCI won't work unless you have the F6 drivers.
    Sorry for the delay to reply back.
    BIOS said it's Auto and LBA. I cannot change the Auto to anything else. There is no other options like AHCI or IDE to select.

Did you look at the BIOS guide?
    http://www.fujitsupc.com/www/content...10-01%20rA.pdf

The Advanced tab has the SATA options. Set AHCI to disabled and try the XP install again.

Did you look at the BIOS guide?
    http://www.fujitsupc.com/www/content...10-01%20rA.pdf

The Advanced tab has the SATA options. Set AHCI to disabled and try the XP install again.
    Hello and thank you for your advise. My apologies for the long delay in responding as for some reason, I did not see the email notification that I have a message since my last reply here. Thinking that there is no other advise forthcoming, I came here to ask if an alternative idea I have could work and saw your reply.

The laptop is now back to Windows 10. Must have made a auto repair since the last time my post saying I lost the Win10.

I managed to set the SATA option as you instructed and disabled the AHCI. On reboot, I get the message that...

My PC ran into a problem and need to restart and it will restart and do a auto repair ...(or words to that effect)

Then it went to a Auto Diagnostic and showed the message under...

Automatic Repair
    Your PC did not start correctly..press Restart to restart your PC or try Advanced Option.

I tried both options but always came back to the first error message and then went into the same process described.

I look forward for your next suggestions.

In the meantime, I was wondering if I use a image copy of one of my other laptops I have that is running XP, but of a different laptop brand and use this image on the problem laptop, would this work ? I know the image of the drivers of the other laptop would be different, so I would need to download and install the XP drivers from the Fujitsui website. Would this idea worked ? Let me know your thoughts please.

Many thanks for your help so far.
    Last edited by slickcondo; July 25th, 2016 at 07:08 AM.

I managed to set the SATA option as you instructed and disabled the AHCI. On reboot, I get the message that...
    My PC ran into a problem and need to restart and it will restart and do a auto repair ...(or words to that effect)
    If you installed Win10 with AHCI on, then you need to leave it on. You said you were installing XP.

In the meantime, I was wondering if I use a image copy of one of my other laptops I have that is running XP, but of a different laptop brand and use this image on the problem laptop, would this work ?
    No. The HAL would not match and you'd get a BSOD.

If you installed Win10 with AHCI on, then you need to leave it on. You said you were installing XP.
    I don't know what it was installed on as it came with Vista. Then it was a upgrade to Win 7 and not long ago, Microsoft sent a message to say I can update free via download to Win10 which was what I did.

After some months, I wanted to install XP and having tried it unsuccessfully I started this thread here. But from my first try to intall XP, I thought I lost all the o/s as per one of my post here . But Win10 showed up again when I boot up the next day.

So no other way I can install XP ?

No. The HAL would not match and you'd get a BSOD.
    Would it have the same problem if I use the hard disk from the other laptop that have XP and move the HDD to this Fujitsui laptop and use the other laptop HDD to install XP ? Both HDD is 500GB capacity. I have no idea what HAL is. But will check later.
    Last edited by slickcondo; July 25th, 2016 at 10:36 AM.

use the other laptop HDD to install XP ?
    You would have to do a repair install at least to get it to work.
    The Windows NT hardware abstraction layer (HAL) refers to a layer of software that deals directly with your computer hardware. Because the HAL operates at a level between the hardware and the Windows NT executive services, applications and device drivers need not be aware of any hardware-specific information. The HAL provides routines that enable a single device driver to support a device on different hardware platforms, making device driver development much easier. It hides hardware dependent details such as I/O interfaces, interrupt controllers, and multiprocessor communication mechanisms. Applications and device drivers are no longer allowed to deal with hardware directly and must make calls to HAL routines to determine hardware specific information. Thus, through the filter provided by the HAL, different hardware configurations can be accessed in the same manner.
    In other words, the wrong drivers having been installed, will through things for a loop.

No guarantee, but I have been successful swapping Win 10 hdds.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    You would have to do a repair install at least to get it to work.
    The Windows NT hardware abstraction layer (HAL) refers to a layer of software that deals directly with your computer hardware. Because the HAL operates at a level between the hardware and the Windows NT executive services, applications and device drivers need not be aware of any hardware-specific information. The HAL provides routines that enable a single device driver to support a device on different hardware platforms, making device driver development much easier. It hides hardware dependent details such as I/O interfaces, interrupt controllers, and multiprocessor communication mechanisms. Applications and device drivers are no longer allowed to deal with hardware directly and must make calls to HAL routines to determine hardware specific information. Thus, through the filter provided by the HAL, different hardware configurations can be accessed in the same manner.
    In other words, the wrong drivers having been installed, will through things for a loop.

No guarantee, but I have been successful swapping Win 10 hdds.
    Still need to do a repair install ?I thought just swapping the HDD over and boot will be ok although I'd expect problems such as missing DLL or Drivers etc when they are needed. So after swapping the HDD over, reboot and then install all the Fujitsu XP drivers downloaded from their website, This won't work ? So how do I do a Repair Insall after rebooting with the HDD ? It will ask for the XP system disk ?

Thanks also for explaining what HAL is. Couldn't find any clear answers than yours on the internet search.

But from my first try to intall XP, I thought I lost all the o/s as per one of my post here . But Win10 showed up again when I boot up the next day.
    What are you trying to do? If you want to install XP, I already said to disable AHCI and then install XP. If you want to keep Win10, then leave AHCI enabled.

So after swapping the HDD over, reboot and then install all the Fujitsu XP drivers downloaded from their website, This won't work ?
    No. I already said that the HAL would be different, so it would BSOD. There are some cases where it would work, but most of the time it won't.
    You'd be better off doing a clean install anyway.

So how do I do a Repair Insall after rebooting with the HDD ? It will ask for the XP system disk ?
    YES you need the XP disc. That's what I said a clean install would be better.

Train, I edited your post from "code" to "quote", so that the text would wrap. Otherwise, we'd have to sidescroll a lot.

Thread Information