Me and my better half want to start venturing I guess like a hobby of editing some of the videos we will be making of family, friends and our camping trips etc and just have some fun making the videos different with some simple affects, recording audible comments on the video and things like that.

We don't want to have to spend a lot of money in this hobby with buying editing software. I am sure you know that when we google free editing software we end up with hundreds of results and can't determine from the results which are actually free and those that are just free trial.

We both have laptops that have Win10 on them. We like to keep things simple so we try to stay with the same devices so we can use one another's laptops.

As I said we really are just looking for something in the way of video editing software that is basic, nothing complicated but will give us some tools to make our videos interesting and fun to create and watch.

Do we have to be concerned with the terms of file format such as .avi .mov etc. is one better than the other? We would like good clear video but we don't need outstanding high resolution that will cost so much to produce or cause us to have expensive editing software (like to keep the software free for now).

Any ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks