Used UPS or pay new for warranty?

Thread: Used UPS or pay new for warranty?

Used UPS or pay new for warranty?

Hey I'm in desperate need of replacing my dead UPS and have read of buying used units off the bay. Not real keen on that but prices have risen and I'm thinking I want line interactive and AVR.

Pitifully poor at the moment - ya' don't wanna know - so wondering how some pros would approach my situation, for home use. Vast majority of the time I'm reading online, a few doc's open. Otherwise could be coding or gaming, nothing super critical outside my OS's (on different drives) but I'll be upgrading (finally) early 2017.

Also, anyone know of real world ways to make UPS batteries last longer, any brands that do same?

Thanks in advance,

Mac

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    I use APC brand UPS. Depending on the brand of yours you might be able to just buy a new battery for it. I've had a APC 450 for three years and the battery is still good. What they call dirty electric can kill an UPS before its time. That is, electric without a ground wire. Brown outs, can cause problems too.

Look on Ebay for replacement UPS batteries. I quit using UPS's several years ago and switched to a professional grade power conditioner.
    i7 5930K @4.6ghz, Asus X99 Deluxe, 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 2400, XFX R9 290X, Samsung 850 Pro 256gb, 4 Seagate 7200 rpm 2tb, Seasonic X1250, Corsair H105, Asus Xonar Essence STX, LiteOn iHBS212, Plextor 890SA, Corsair 500R, Win 10 Enterprise 64.

What is your funds availability? I have an APC 1500 and a CyberPower 1500 unit, both were under $200 new on sale. You can find lower run time units for about half that new. If you are looking for something that will provide a long run time, you want higher capacity, but if you just need something to keep you from crashing during power outages of a minute or less, you just need something that has enough wattage to power for your system for a short period.

As money is tight your best bet is to replace the battery. Get the number from your Manual or remove it to get the number--then go shopping for the best price. Good luck.
    Biostar TA790GX A2+ 6.0
    AMD Phenom X4 9750 CPU.
    4 Gig DDR2 Memory.
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    ATI HD 5450 PCIe Video
    500 Watt P.S.
    LG W2241T Widescreen 22" LCD
    ViewSonic VA721 17" LCD
    Envision 17" LCD
    2 LG DVD Drives
    Floppy Disk Drive
    Maxtor 120 Gig Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
    Gateway NV5378-U Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Acer Aspire V3-731 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by dneilson View Post
    As money is tight your best bet is to replace the battery. Get the number from your Manual or remove it to get the number--then go shopping for the best price. Good luck.
    That can work fine, but SOMETIMES, a new UPS can be cheaper.

You didn't give us the make/model of the UPS, so we can't look up pricing. It really varies by brand and capacity.

Thanks for the replies. I'm sticking w/APC, have also owned cyberpower but have read how some models have given out around 1 year. Probably due to incorrect usage, at lest for some. But APC/Schneider's support quickly informed me my old model does have features not listed/not found from my research.

And yes it appears less expensive to buy new with 3 year warranty vs buy used and replace batteries after the cheapie 1 year they include craps out on you. You get an extra year vs. another $16 or so (for my BE500R). So one thumbs up for Train.

Have a good 1500 at work I could obtain but w/o the warranty protection from buying new. I'd rather be able to show a receipt and hope to get satisfaction if anything killed a component. FYI, or future reference I looked into sell old unit (it's bad) and trade-ins and
    appears the best is APC. Waiting for a full reply but it appears I can trade in multiple units for a discount - not sure how much yet - and apparently I don't have to ship w/battery so less postage.

Still irks me how the prices have risen so much in 4-5 years. Between companies squeezing both sides and the gov telling us there's no inflation most won't ever discover the wool over their eyes.

Thanks again for the feedback,

Mac

BE500R or that series, have worked fine for me. Use for Router and modem only though right now..

Thread Information