Startup problem - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Startup problem

>I just ran it on my test Win7x64 box and it says 0.
    I know it says 0, but I dispute the logic behind it. If there is one there, it should say '1 found' even if the operation failed, or something that makes more sense. If there is one, it should say '1' if there are more (new) it should find them too, even if the old bcd is still there.

'1 Windows instance found - operation failed, please rename the old bcd and retry' - that would make sense.

'The bootrec command will search for Windows installations not included in the Boot Configuration Data'
    That explains it, it's only looking for instances not included in the BCD. I would still like to see more to that effect in the ouput.

At this point, you need to adjust several file attributes for the BCD store so you can manipulate it.

At the prompt, execute the attrib command exactly like this:
    attrib c:\boot\bcd -h -r -s

I get 'file not found' for all subsequent commands, so where is this command supposed to be run? Are we in Windows\boot>? The article doesn't say.

I just ran it on my test box and it worked. This is exactly what I typed:

C:
    attrib C:\Boot\bcd -h -r -s
    bcdedit /export C:\bcdbackup
    attrib C:\Boot\bcd -h -r -s
    ren C:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    Y

I can't get c:, only x:
    Why do you need the attrib commands twice?

After attrib C:\Boot\bcd -h -r -s
    I get file not found c:\boot

I can't get any further until I know where bcd is.
    Last edited by Reverend; June 29th, 2016 at 06:38 PM.

If you can't even get to C:, then that's a whole different problem. X: is the Win7 boot disc. If you can't even see C:, then you can't fix the bcd. It sounds more like the partition and/or mbr got messed up.

You might want to get your data off the drive first.

You can try running Testdisk to repair the partition. It's on UBCD5 or you can download it from the Testdisk site.
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

At x:\Windows\boot> anything related to bcd results in 'file not found'

You can't get a c:\ prompt from Startup Options, only x:\

I've reached my frustration limit, I have to walk from one room to the other to write down all the commands, my printer isn't working and I'm out of plastic disks to make rescue utilities that are supposed to be bootable but don't boot.

I'm going to wipe it. Seems a shame because I feel sure the bcd is the problem and if fixed the machine would boot and be back to normal. Articles should show the prompt each time so you know where you're supposed to be. I successfully exported the bcd but to where? Can it be done from an x:\ prompt or not, that would be good to know so you didn't waste any time but oh well, such is the nature of computing.

Thanks for trying to help dude!

rev
    Last edited by Reverend; June 29th, 2016 at 07:07 PM.

You can't get a c:\ prompt from Startup Options, only x:\
    Yes, you can. I told you exactly what I typed. If you can't get to C:, there are other issues.

I booted from the Win7x64 DVD, clicked Repair your computer, the C: Local Disk is listed and I clicked Next
    If you don't even see C: Local Disk listed, then that's the problem.

Lot of good info here. Just wanted to add, if you end up thinking the drive is bad that doesn't necessarily mean you can't copy the OS (as well as save the data). I've copied from a bad drive, even though we have image/install discs, when the consensus was 'it's hosed'. The appl couldn't finish coping the entire drive but I saved everything on the HDD.

Good luck.

Mid
    OK I'll give it one more try.

Mac
    Yes, and I have boot disks like Active Boot that enable you to save the data. All is not lost but I get frustrated more easily each time I do this!

Thread Information