Router drops?

Thread: Router drops?

Question Router drops?

I think i need a new router, have a linksys wrt54 g i believe. We are using a sony BDP S2500 Blu ray player to stream amazon prime, but since sony did an upgrade, we have to unplug the power on both the wifi and blu ray, to get it to play amazon. Sony said to do a factory reset but so far this works. How ever i have some issues with the laptops as well as the ipad air. I ran the 2wire speed check and it does not compare to charters speed check about 1/2 and usually under 2mbps 1.4 and lower, sony wants 3,

So looking at routers i see some that specify streaming video capabilities others do not

If i have to pay 200-300 for one for dual band or better, will this speed up the signal? This is not a provider issue unless their speed is really way inferior.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398080,00.asp

this was just a quick check

There is a MUMIMO technology then the IPv6 and IPv4 they talk about

We have presently 3 laptops, not going all at once, desktop, ipad, wireless printer.

What i don't understand is the streaming video router i need, and will it eliminate drops, plus the other i refer to,

I have asked this efore but bow ready to move,

Will Roku 2 work better than the sony? i have it just never hooked it up.

i've had the linksys probably 4 years guessing, maybe it's seen it's time?

tks

have a linksys wrt54 g i believe. i've had the linksys probably 4 years guessing, maybe it's seen it's time?
    That is a really old router. You should upgrade anyway. That's old router is bottlenecking your network, which is probably causing the drops. The original WRT54G came out in 2002.

If i have to pay 200-300 for one for dual band or better, will this speed up the signal?
    Dual-band itself is not the issue. If you can run on a 5GHz network, that would get you better bandwidth, but shorter range than 2.4GHz.
    Your "signal" is limited by your ISP. You didn't say which ISP and service plan you are using. If you are on cable modem, you might want to consider upgrading that too.

MIMO is not helpful unless the client supports it too. Most devices don't support MIMO anyway. It's overkill right now.

If you're going to buy a new router, you should get an 802.11ac one.
    The Netgear R7000 (or the R6900 at Costco) is a solid choice. The TP-Link C8 is good for the price too.
    You can look up other router reviews here:
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools...rs/router/view

It was probably a Best Buy warehouse deal, i haven't had it installed that long.

Regardless if it needs updated will do,

Charter provider , they were just here last week, and supposedly all is ok, excepy the router as per their signal bt as sony tells me their speed ceck is not for streaming, thus the difference

Is the Nighthawk a specific on Netgear or not?
    tks

do you install this by entering the numbers in the browser like used to be or cd set up?

WRT54G used the 802.11b and 802.11g

802.11b offered up to 11 megabits per second (Mbps)
    802.11a and 802.11g offer up to 54 Mbps
    802.11n offers up to 300 Mbps
    802.11ac offers up to 1 Gbps (1000 Mbps)

Is the Nighthawk a specific on Netgear or not?
    Nighthawk is a Netgear model name. There are several different ones, but the R7000 is probably the best for the buck. There are higher models, but I think they would be more than you need.

do you install this by entering the numbers in the browser like used to be or cd set up?
    Do you mean router configuration? You'd access that from your browser. It's the same for all home routers nowadays.

And on http://www.speedtest.net/
    use Arlington Heights, IL Just North of Chicago

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Nighthawk is a Netgear model name. There are several different ones, but the R7000 is probably the best for the buck. There are higher models, but I think they would be more than you need.

Do you mean router configuration? You'd access that from your browser. It's the same for all home routers nowadays.

yes, when i set this one up there was a series of numbers put in the browser

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    And on http://www.speedtest.net/
    use Arlington Heights, IL Just North of Chicago
    have you used 2wre.com for speed check, it does not read as fast.

Who is your ISP? Are you on Charter?

If you mean 2wire.com, their speed check is totally off. Use speedtest.net instead.

2wire.com - 1.8 Mbps

That is totally off when I download Linux ISOs at 6-7 Mbps from Japan.
    Yes, I am using charter 60 Mbps service.
    Well the internet is busier this morning heck even charters speedtest is better.
    Wireless through a couple walls.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Who is your ISP? Are you on Charter?

If you mean 2wire.com, their speed check is totally off. Use speedtest.net instead.
    Sony tells me 2wire is more accurate as for streaming video as to what the speed actually is, video streaming needs faster speed "as per Sony"

Was this a Sony "Customer Service Call Center Representative" that told you this? Note that the job of a call center rep is to get you off the phone as fast as possible to insure their productivity ratings remain high. Also, Sony is not known for providing highly accurate information to their customers, unfortunately.

If this is in relation the your other thread below:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...49#post1514449

Then I would think it is far more likely that the firmware update from Sony is the cause of your issue, especially if nothing else has changed and it was working properly previously.

What ever Sony TECH SUPPORT is as per their site... I had already done the speed checks several places and informed them as to what they were, then they threw 2wire in.. as their out if that is what it is.

If 2wire is not reliable as they say it is then that's another can of worms. I have used 2 wire years back for some reason.

So far my power unplugs have helped on the bu ray
    Last edited by egdufwollamhsram1851; June 27th, 2016 at 10:33 PM.

Thread Information