Windows 10 Upgrade - Graphics Cards

Thread: Windows 10 Upgrade - Graphics Cards

Windows 10 Upgrade - Graphics Cards

I have Windows 7 - 64 bit. I have a laptop computer that was bought in 2011 (HP Pavilion DV6-6047cl). I ran the Compatability Test by Microsoft & Belarc Advisor. They suggest I do not upgrade because of the graphic card. From what I understand the graphic card cannot be replaced on this computer. Am I correct? Could I install a separate graphic card & not use the on the motherboard? Will I make a mistake not upgrading to Windows 10? I probably will not buy another computer for 2-3 years or when Microsoft stops support on Windows 7.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

DarElls

AMD Radeon HD 6770M - 1 GB GDDR5 SDRAM video
    Double check on the dates as M$ has been working on stopping the video problems.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    And no, you can't change the video card. It's built into the motherboard.

I thought that was the case, but I wanted to make sure I was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M - 1 GB GDDR5 SDRAM video
    Double check on the dates as M$ has been working on stopping the video problems.
    Recently Microsoft Update wants to install a new Driver. I have had a new AMD driver installed - dated 8-13-2015, Version 15.200.1064.1004. Consequently I do not think I need this from Microsoft. Am I correct?

The usual rule on drivers is if the one you have is working OK, with no issues, then you don't need to install a new one, especially one from Microsoft, and especially a Microsoft driver for a new version of Windows that is really still in beta testing, with you as the tester.

If you were having problems or issues with your display, a new driver might be in order, but you would still want one from the hardware manufacturer's web site first, if available, rather than one from Microsoft.

Thanks for the information. I was thinking of disabiling this entry on Windows Update. I am not using Windows 10, but am sticking with Windows 7 because of the graphics card.

Thread Information