Adventures With Windows 10 And Virtualbox

Thread: Adventures With Windows 10 And Virtualbox

Adventures With Windows 10 And Virtualbox

I've been slowly getting a new hard drive set up and I finally decided to have Windows 10 running in VirtualBox.

I picked up the cheapest Windows 7 Pro OEM license I could find (40, Win 10 was 69). Installed Windows 7, spend about 24 hours installing all the updates, and finally did the upgrade to Windows 10. As much of a pain as it is to refuse the upgrade on systems you do not want to upgrade, it is very simple if you do want to upgrade to Windows 10. Too bad Microsoft could not have just run with easy but not forced upgrades.

After the upgrade to Windows 10 (clicked off all unwanted privacy settings during install) I did the usual stuff, removed Windows.old, removed OneDrive (I don't use it), disabled Cortana, removed unwanted apps, installed Spybot Anti-Beacon.

Then I realized the virtual disk was on the wrong partition and I moved it. Windows was no longer activated because it was already being used on "another computer".

So I had to call Microsoft. It took about an hour, 3 people working from scripts, but in the end I had a re-activated Windows 10.

So this story seems to have ended well. Windows 10 running in VirtualBox.

I'm going to add this note onto this thread since it is about my further configuration of the same Windows 10 Pro VirtualBox install.

I ran across this article that has a couple tips I did not know about.

5 - Turn off forced updates
    ....There is a workaround for users running Windows 10 Pro: from the Start Menu, search for 'gpedit' and run the Group Policy Editor. Expand Computer Configuration in the left-hand pane, and navigate to Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update. Double-click Configure Automatic Updates in the list, select the Enabled radio button, and in the left-hand box select 2 - Notify for download and notify for install. Now click OK, and you'll be notified whenever there are updates....

7 - Where's Safe Mode when you need it?
    ....you can no longer enter it by pressing F8 or Shift+F8 at boot. Although it's still available in Windows 10, you have to boot into Windows first....
    ....it's helpful to create a boot time Safe Mode option before trouble arrives....

it's helpful to create a boot time Safe Mode option before trouble arrives....
    You got that right.

I ran into an issue with this VirtualBox Guest.

I thought I'd better create a Recovery Drive, and I discovered this Windows 10 VirtualBox Guest cannot detect a USB drive. At first I had to determine if this was a VirtualBox or Windows 10 problem. What I have is a yellow warning on "USB Mass Storage Device" in the "Device Manager". I've tried right click "Update Driver Software", turning off USB power management, deleting USB drivers and letting them reinstall on reboot, and copying a couple usbstor files to the INF folder. No go. There is a sound in Windows 10 when I plug in the USB drive, but it does not show up anywhere. I've tried a couple different drives and none of them work.

So far I am not finding the solution for this.

Thread Information