network printer scan "failed to send via SMB"

Thread: network printer scan "failed to send via SMB"

network printer scan "failed to send via SMB"

This is a Kyocera CS 3051ci multi-function network printer, connected via ethernet to the router. The "server" in question is actually just a Windows 7 Home Premium functioning as the "server" in the office.

First thing up, ALL functions, including the scanner function, work perfectly. Scanning saves the document to any of a variety of folders on the server, depending on who is doing the scanning. The destination addresses are chosen from a menu each time. Sooo... after the "server" has been up and operating for 15-20 minutes, the scan function begins to fail with the "Failed to send via SMB" error message. When this happens, it happens regardless of the destination chosen. ALL other functions of the multi-function printer: printing, faxing, etc. continue to function flawlessly. It's ONLY the "scan" function failing. To correct this error, all that is required is to reboot the server, then it works correctly again for 15-20 minutes.

What is happening to cause this error, and where do I begin looking for the solution? Nothing obvious appears to be mis-configured, as evidenced by the fact that it works fine for awhile after the server boots up. I'm pretty confused by this one...
    Various Windows and Linux platforms...

I assume that the Kyocera does have a fixed IP address. The Windows 7 PC should also be set up with a fixed IP address.

The following link might also be helpful:

https://community.spiceworks.com/top...topped-working

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&s...o+send+via+smb

I get to deal with this all the time with our HP all in one.... The printer goes into sleep mode and kills the connection for the scan to pc option... My boss and co-worker aren't happy...but they can start the scan from their desktop icon and it works everytime.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

The printer does have a fixed IP address... the Internet Service itself at the client location is dynamic addressing, and according to the client won't be changed (they don't need fixed IP for any other reason, and don't want to pay the price difference for fixed IP). I'll check on sleep mode though...

not sure if there's a desktop icon for scanning on all the workstations or not, I'll check... I think they've been in the habit of walking up to the printer for this activity, since they have to load the document to begin with...

How far (what distance) is the Kyocera from the Windows 7 computer?

hmmm, approximately 12 feet, but connected by ethernet, not wireless.... ???

Did you make sure that "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is UNCHECKED for the "Server's" NIC?

http://www.worldstart.com/dropped-in...in-sleep-mode/
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...=ws.10%29.aspx

If the Windows 7 PC is 12 feet from the Kyocera, then the internet service is of no importance. The Windows 7 computer should have a fixed IP address for internal network access, unless this office is supplying internet routable IP addresses to all internal computers (unlikely).

As Midknyte mentioned, the Windows 7 computer should not be powering down its network adapter for any reason unless the computer itself is actually powered off.

Be sure to disable Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power for the nic.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2740020

all responders: sleep mode wasn't the culprit, will look at the NIC tonight, it's probably the problem, I really didn't even think of that, thx for the heads-up!

nope, wasn't the NIC either... I'm still not sure exactly where the failure is coming from, but have installed filezilla and set the protocol from the printer to use FTP. So far, so good, but I'm really confused why this has been necessary... really strange...

Quote Originally Posted by shiva_42 View Post
    not sure if there's a desktop icon for scanning on all the workstations or not, I'll check... I think they've been in the habit of walking up to the printer for this activity, since they have to load the document to begin with...
    I would look in "all programs" for a scan option.

The scan to pc doesn't always work for us...but the scan FROM pc does.... It can take a minute or two when things are acting up... but it works.

Also, have you tried rebooting the printer when it acts up? If it works, it's less painful than rebooting the server...AND the users can do it themselves.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Rebooting the printer doesn't solve the issue, only rebooting the server did... I'm still looking deeper into this, it's baffling...

Thread Information