Normally when your computer is working people say leave well enough alone

Thread: Normally when your computer is working people say leave well enough alone

Normally when your computer is working people say leave well enough alone

But my computer is 5 years old and (see previous posts) I've got to make a decision whether to upgrade to SSD or buy a new one with a HD.

Took the computer to a shop and they gave me the cost to upgrade to a 500gig SSD -- $480. Includes transfer and install of O/S, data, drives, etc.

Then there's the cost of a new computer w/ HD, which would be the same and even less.

What to do?

O/S = Windows 10
    HP Pavilion with 1 TB HD

$480 sounds rather pricey to me. The SSD itself should be in the $65 to $150 range, then there is cloning your old drive to it, but I don't see $330 worth of additional expense. Did they itemize what that amount would be for?

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    $480 sounds rather pricey to me. The SSD itself should be in the $65 to $150 range, then there is cloning your old drive to it, but I don't see $330 worth of additional expense. Did they itemize what that amount would be for?
    Yes,
    Samsung SSD500gig $195
    Install and transfer data, O/S, data recovery 210
    Hardware cleanup 75

Someone is making a big profit on that job. $210 for a job that should take all of 5 minutes of a tech's actual time is good money, plus a $45 profit on the SSD and $75 for a quick dust out and wipe down.

Samsung SSD500gig $195
    That depends on the model, but a 850Evo 500GB is around $150 like jdc2000 said. There are cheaper 480-500GB SSDs out there too.

Those labor prices are jacked up. Why would you need to transfer data AND do a data recovery?

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    That depends on the model, but a 850Evo 500GB is around $150 like jdc2000 said. There are cheaper 480-500GB SSDs out there too.

Those labor prices are jacked up. Why would you need to transfer data AND do a data recovery?
    He would be transferring Office program files and other program files. I understand that labor takes up a lot of that cost.

Pfffft.... The Samsung SSD's come with data transfer software included for free. Image the current C drive then install it on the new SSD, no big deal. It takes me less than 15 minutes to do a SSD upgrade.
    i7 5930K @4.6ghz, Asus X99 Deluxe, 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 2400, XFX R9 290X, Samsung 850 Pro 256gb, 4 Seagate 7200 rpm 2tb, Seasonic X1250, Corsair H105, Asus Xonar Essence STX, LiteOn iHBS212, Plextor 890SA, Corsair 500R, Win 10 Enterprise 64.

That still doesn't answer my question. If the tech does a data transfer to the SSD, all OS and application files would get copied over.

I don't see why you'd need a data recovery (I.E. recover data from a bad drive).

I think he is just inflating the labor costs. If you can't do it yourself, get a quote from someone else.

Well I went shopping and found this HP on sale for $289 Which I can buy right now (as compared to $480). Bestbuy has several desktops for under $300.

HP - Slimline Desktop - Intel Pentium - 4GB Memory - 500GB Hard Drive
    Model: T3Z89AA#ABASKU: 4926500
    Windows 10 Home

Technical details: Intel® Pentium® processor; 4GB memory; 500GB hard drive

Special features: Built-in wireless networking; HDMI output

Gotta ask you and myself: What's the big difference between a HD and a SSD in a desktop?

What does your current computer NOT do that you'd like to be able to do?

My last computer with XP lasted me 12 years.

SSD drives load files way faster then a regular hard drive... But it really helps to have a very good cpu like an i5 or i7 if you're rich...

Also a lot depends on what you use your computer for to help determine if a SSD or better CPU will really help that much.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    What does your current computer NOT do that you'd like to be able to do?

My last computer with XP lasted me 12 years.

SSD drives load files way faster then a regular hard drive... But it really helps to have a very good cpu like an i5 or i7 if you're rich...

Also a lot depends on what you use your computer for to help determine if a SSD or better CPU will really help that much.
    Thanks, the computer is 5 years old and it's adequate for my needs. I use it everyday mainly internet stuff, and I need it for work (I teach). So really it's doing well....I just want to get something new....should I just wait for this to die?

If your current computer is working well enough for your needs, then you only really have one issue that you have mentioned here. Since you need your computer for work, you would be out of luck if it just decide to pack in its electrons one day. So, you need a backup computer in case that happens. The question is what to get for a backup. You have two choices:

1. A very inexpensive backup computer that can get you by while you search for a new primary computer. Advantage: Low cost. Disadvantage: Will become obsolete and slow much faster than a more powerful machine, and need replacement faster.

2. A replacement for your current computer that will last many years. Disadvantage: Will cost more than a low end computer. Advantage: You don't need it immediately, so you can save up for a more powerful unit that will last much longer, and cost less in the long run.

Thread Information