windows 7 failed to start

Thread: windows 7 failed to start

windows 7 failed to start

after declining Windows 10 upgrade i get the message Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. status: OXC000000F.
    I've tried inserting a Dell backup and recovery reinstall disc I made after buying computer new. That didn't help.
    I also tried changing aptio setup utility boot to boot mode Legacy which someone online suggested. Also didn't help. I don't know much about computers so need simple instructions.

Can you get into the BIOS setup? If yes, what happens if you try to restore the factory default BIOS settings?

Post the exact model number for that Dell.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Can you get into the BIOS setup? If yes, what happens if you try to restore the factory default BIOS settings?

Post the exact model number for that Dell.
    not sure if i accesses Bios setup. I was able to access a screen that gave an option for BIOS set up. I clicked load default, save and exit but I'm still getting same message.

Dell Inspiron 660s

That should have reset the BIOS. The next step would be to test the hard drive, as that error message can indicate a failed drive.

The first test is to go back into the BIOS setup and see if the hard drive is listed as a boot device. If the BIOS does not see the hard drive, then you can't boot from it. If the BIOS does show the hard drive, you can try booting from a bootable CD with diagnostics and run the test for your make of hard drive (or the Seagate/SeaTools if you don't know what make you have).

Ultimate Boot CD guise:
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...oot-CD-5-Guide

Thread Information