Connection lost, regularly, since 2 days

Thread: Connection lost, regularly, since 2 days

Connection lost, regularly, since 2 days

I am not sure where to check so i thought i would ask here.

A while ago, i experience disconnections from my wireless connection, at random, several times an hour. That problem went away on its own. Yesterday, we had a power failure, and since then, it regularly disconnects from the modem. It is only on one computer, mine (obviously).

When this happens, i can open the Network and sharing center window, and click on the red x that appears between the home network and the internet/modem. Nothing appears between the computer and the home network (i mean no X).

That starts some troubleshooting, and although it identifies as there is a problem, once it has checked all that, the connection has come back.

I am using a D-Link and suspecting it was the actual device that was the problem, i switched it with my husband's, since he had the exact same one. No change.

so, i am kind of wondering what i should check for. Any suggestion?

Open the Control Panel. (Classic View)

2. Click on the Device Manager icon.
    NOTE: You need to be in a Administrator account.

3. Click on Continue in the UAC prompt.

4. Open the device's list that you want to change. (See screenshot below)
    EX: Network Devices

5. Right click on the device name and click on Properties.
    EX: Network Devices

Click on the Power Management tab. (See screenshot below)

Uncheck Allow this device to wake the computer. (See screenshot above)
    NOTE: To Enable it again, just check this instead. If you need to disable the wireless mouse and keyboard, then you can wake the computer by pressing the power button on the case.

Yesterday, we had a power failure, and since then, it regularly disconnects from the modem.
    Your computer is connected wirelessly to the modem? Is it a combo modem/wifi router? Make/model would help.

Did you reboot the modem after the power outage? Do you have the modem connected to a UPS?

I am using a D-Link and suspecting it was the actual device that was the problem
    What D-Link product do you mean? Router? Network adapter?

Your computer is connected wirelessly to the modem? Is it a combo modem/wifi router? Make/model would help.
    From what i can get, it is an ActionTEC modem. I can't tell the model because it is installed in the wall and not really accessible, and yes, the computer is connected wirelessly to it. And as far as i know, yes it is a combo modem/wifi.

No i didn't reboot the modem, as i assumed it rebooted itself when the power came back on.

What D-Link product do you mean? Router? Network adapter?
    A wireless USB adapter

Uncheck Allow this device to wake the computer. (See screenshot above)
    It is unchecked and even greyed out.

No i didn't reboot the modem, as i assumed it rebooted itself when the power came back on.
    The power isn't really stable after an outage, so I'd reboot it again. Wifi routers tend to be finicky about power, which is why I also asked about the UPS.

Silly question but what is a UPS?

The power isn't really stable after an outage, so I'd reboot it again.
    I guess i can try that when i get everyone off their computer!
    But an additional question: why would it affect only my computer and none other?

Uninterruptible Power Supply
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninte...e_power_supply

Hard to say why it would only be your computer. I've seen similar situations with laptops, tablets, etc, where some devices connect and some don't. Many times, a reboot resolves it.

Thanks. After a reboot of the modem, it has not disconnected once. Crossing fingers that it was as simple a solution.
    Glad i asked and happy you helped.

That modem and router problem IS very common. Put them on a UPS, believe me, it sure helps to stop that mess!
    Learned the hard way.

Thread Information