Need help buying wireless laptop please

Thread: Need help buying wireless laptop please

Question Need help buying wireless laptop please

I am senior citizen without a lot to spend. I want a laptop that has webcam and mic built in (is there such a thing) that is not expensive?

I just use my computer to surf net, email, maybe put a few pictures on, and I play games on Pogo. It needs to be wireless.

I do on ocassion play "Second Life" but that is not necessary as I do have a desk top too.

I see a lot of laptops for $350. or less, but the built in webcam and mic are my 2 most important features as my son is overseas a lot.

Please help!!

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Most laptops now days have wireless built in. As for mic, you'll need to buy a headset with mic attached. They're not that expensive depending on the brand you chose.
    I've used a version of this one for years:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-981-0...rophone+for+pc

The headset route is what I use too.
    You will appreciate one in about a week of use.
    Laptop speakers are not all that good, no matter what the manufacture says.

Angry

Yo don't tell me if the camera is built in. IMPORANTor do I have to use Skype? Hope not. Skype has not worked both ways for me on my desktop. I can see and hear the other party even though I have bought 2headsets they cannot hear me. I have to type my reply to them. If the head phones you suggest are good I will invest. But this has been my past experience with Skype. My daughters laptop presents a full screen pic of the person she is talking to. This is what I hope to have.

Also I wanted a few suggestions on laptops I could possibly purchase with that feature added in and under $350. or near that amount.

I want the best I can get for my money.
    Last edited by Msbsgblue; April 24th, 2016 at 02:44 PM. Reason: add info

The camera is built into most laptops, but you still have to use some type of software to talk to your son or anyone else.

And for what's it worth, the cheaper the laptop the less features it will have, but it will have built in camera and built in wifi.

This Lenovo:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-1...&ref=212&loc=1

This Acer at Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Acer-Celeron-B...+wifi+built+in

And this page will give you many choices $500 and under with the specifics you asked for.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_...nid=2421885011

Just make sure it has a camera built it, if you want to go that route.

Skype and I , well being deaf, we do not get along, but daughters did use my older laptop that had a camera built in, to skype.
    There was a sound setting in skype she had to enable and she used my $20 headset with long mike boom.

I usually look at Toshiba's in the $400 - $600 range when I get a NEW laptop. Fact is the one I got in 2009 is still working just spiffy. Probably need a new battery before long though. Yes it is the original battery in it now. Bought a new one in December, but it does not have a cd/dvd drive in it. GRRRR. Yes, I was in a hurry.

Yes, I was in a hurry.
    That's what you get for hurrying old man. LOL

Yeah, I bought a Dell around Christmas time and it came with wifi and built in Cam. But I don't use the camera. I have a tablet (Lenovo) which has a front cam and a phone that has from cam but I don't use them either. I have a Pentax K-50 DSLR and bunches of lenses if I want to take photos that's what I use. I was never comfortable talking on those devices because I stand behind the camera, not in front of it.

TY I have not heard of Lenova or Asus or some of these brands. The main reason I want camera and mic is my son working all over the world (in New Zealand now) I want to be able to see him and him to see me. I am sure I can find one on the pages you sent me. I also want Word but do not use the rest of office options.

Instead of MS office garbage, I use LibreOffice.
    https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-fresh/

But remember , wordpad so far has been in 98 to win 10 so far.

Dell and Toshiba would be the only brands of laptops I would concider. But, that is just me.

Thread Information