.TS file format

Thread: .TS file format

.TS file format

Hello! I recorded an important 30-min program segment using my cable tv's provided DVR. I wanted to import it to my PC because my cable provider told me if I were to discontinue my subscription and lose the cable box, I'd have no way to view it-- which is annoyingly stupid and unfair.

I assumed it recorded similar to our CCTV DVR which is in .avi file type, but turns out it recorded as "programname.ts_chunk_1.ts" I copied the file to my PC and have been figuring out for hours how to either play it as .ts or convert it to a VLC/WMP-playable file type but have been unsuccessful. I've even tried converting it to mkv using first, but updated VLC won't read it. I can see the duration on the playlist, bu it won't play.

Any tips on how to proceed?

Thanks for any help!

You could use an online converter so you don't have to install any software..

http://www.zamzar.com/convert/ts-to-mp4/

Could take a while.. these things do. You'd need to set up an account to upload anything larger than 50megs. I'd always use a throwaway email account for these things eg- mailinator.com

Or if you want to use your own software here are more ideas..

http://www.sevenforums.com/music-pic...s-another.html

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

fink, I was wondering how come VLC couldn't play it when it's supposedly can. Looking at the filename, it's not a simple program.ts like the others I've seen, but has a ts_chunk_1 before the .ts -- is this file name format normal? or does it mean it's more encrypted or something and causing it to be unplayable on VLC?

It would have been named by the recording program/player. Usually "chunk" means a portion of a larger original file but files can be broken into smaller parts for various reasons like storage space, folders, episodes, timing.. all kinds of reasons.. it wouldn't normally mean encrypted in any way but it might be corrupted.

I can still play it without a problem via the cable dvr, so I assume it's not corrupted.

I checked out zamzar before but my file size is 600mb, exceeding the limit of the free account. The segment itself is probably just 15 minutes that's why I also wanted to edit out the commercials. I've come across the the Freemake Converter in your link, but found many reviews saying it has malware/viruses. I downloaded the free trial for VideoRedo, but for some reason .exe won't setup.

The DVR is connected to a smart TV-- is there a way I can play it via the DVR , plug a laptop to the TV/stream it to my pc and re-record it?

You could record it onto a computer from the original source in real time playback with a capture card or interface. There are lots of them from pretty cheap upwards in price. They can be PCI or USB..

eg- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ard&Submit=ENE

You'd need to make sure that the one you'd buy has the right input/output ports/jacks to accommodate the playback DVR and recording computer.

Also, the really really cheap ones usually record in a small resolution and/or framesize.. much smaller than the original source.

I downloaded MPEG Streamclip and opening the .ts file results in a "Can't find audio or video tracks".

This is confusing. I've put the .ts file together with its .nav and .info files in one folder.

I'm running out of suggestions. Unless anyone else here has ideas you could try a dedicated a/v forum..

http://www.videohelp.com/

Handbrake sayis it's not a valid source :/ What in the world is this TS file....

Ok, will wait for others, just in case... thanks, fink!

In the meantime do you have an old VCR in a closet somewhere? Or borrow one? You could at least make a copy to that.

I've seen them for sale at Goodwill for 10 dollars or less too.

Thread Information