how to download documents and open to read

Thread: how to download documents and open to read

Question how to download documents and open to read

Hi not sure if this is the correct place but I need help. I do not know what happened but I went to download a letter sent and it opened as a *.do ext and no matter how I tried to change it to open as Word or notepad or Adobe anything it always opens in gibberish. I need docs to open as word documents and I cant seem to get the settings correct. Please help me.
    Thanks

Are you sure the file extension is .do ? Word documents should be .doc or .docx.

Where are you getting these files? Are you sure that they were created with Word?

I am sure they come down as a *.do. I need a document from this site https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SiView.do. I have no clue how they are created all I know is I click the doc it opens then gives me choice of saving as *.do or all files when I try to save it I have screen shots

here is another shot I just did

Ah. That site requires an account.

Did you look at their User Guide for Access to the Electronic Folder?
    https://ssa.gov/ere/ere_demo_public/...ckup_Files.pdf

.do is a java applet, so you might be trying to download the wrong thing. Did you click on "Download Selected in PDF at the bottom?"

Hi No I didn't see anywhere it saying to do it in PDF or I would have I will go back and sign in and see if I can see that thanks

Update I am back in there and there is no choice for downloading or saving in PDF where are you looking? The only choices are the the 2 I took screen shot of and posted below *.do or all files no PDF and when I changed it to a PDF it says I have to pay adobe to view it
    Last edited by dam1120; March 8th, 2016 at 07:19 PM.

I didn't create an account. I just skimmed the instructions. Did you download the User Guide? If that still doesn't help, you should probably ask the site for support.

Your screenshot looks like you did a right-click and save as. From what I can tell, you are downloading the java applet code, NOT the actual document.

On Page 7 of the instructions .pdf from Midknyte's link in post #5 on this thread, you would select a check box or boxes and then click on the button at the bottom of the page that is labeled "Download Selected to .pdf". You do not need to pay Adobe anything - just use their free Acrobat Reader to display the files.

I read the manual and the pages they are showing are not what I get. I go in and look for a letter and click it and letter opens then we can either print it or save it so when I click the save it button it tries to save the letter as a do ext. I don't get the pages that the manual shows just a link to a letter. I will just print the letter out and scan it to the computer and upload it as I need to do. Thanks

You could also use something like pdf995 (a .pdf printer driver) to print the data to a .pdf document.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    You could also use something like pdf995 (a .pdf printer driver) to print the data to a .pdf document.
    Really that sounds like it would come in handy since many docs are either PDF or need to be converted. Is it a driver that I can download and is it comparable to all printers? Thanks

Thread Information