[RESOLVED] windows 10 ownership problem for one folder and files inside on a back up hard drive

Thread: [RESOLVED] windows 10 ownership problem for one folder and files inside on a back up hard drive

Resolved [RESOLVED] windows 10 ownership problem for one folder and files inside on a back up hard drive

Upgraded from windows 7 64 bit to windows 10, first attempted failed and my computer crashed due to a driver issue with my graphics card. formatted and reinstalled everything.

Everything was working fine since the update was available.

One of my folders on the back up drive for some reason was not accessible due to an ownership error. So far all the other folders are ok ( I only tried a few )

I've had this problem before on windows 7 and have been able to resolve it by taking ownership of the folder. and then had access to the files inside.

This time, I took ownership of the folder, I can now access the folder, but all the files ( over 2 thousand ) inside are still locked with the ownership issue.

and I cannot change the security setting.

Any ideas

This is the error message.

Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct.
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
    AMD PH-II X6 1100T 3.3G 9MB BX125W BLACK AM3
    EAH5770 CUCore/2DI/1GD5 ( X , 2 in crossfire mode )
    Kingston HyperX 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 ( X , 4 Total 16 gigs )
    Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000W Modular

Update on my issue ...... have 3 folders with the same problem .... I can change the permissions for each file individually, then access and edit them. tried to do it to all them at once, ( select All ) but the security tab is not in the properties menu. is there some way to do a batch change ... over 3 thousand files one at a time is going to take forever

Thanks
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0

Thanks Train, that got me ownership of the folder a lot easier, but I still had to do each file separately, wasn't worth the trouble doing them all one at a time ..... but it did allow me to delete the folder.

One would think that Microsoft would do something about randomly having files and folders locked up like that. One day you have access, the next you don't

Did a lot of searching before I came here to bother you's and it seems to be quite an issue. I've had folders not accessible before, but never all the files inside

Thanks again
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0

I was doing a recovery of a hdd I had slaved in,
    Windows.old, I used the cleanup to get rid of it.

Thread Information