Cursor disappeared, screen froze then

Thread: Cursor disappeared, screen froze then

Cursor disappeared, screen froze then

My cursor disappeared and my screen froze. I attempted using the keyboard to shut down but it also didn't work. Hard shut down and got a message to launch a repair. Many hours later it remained on a blank screen. Attempted safe mode and it loaded a large number of window files then remained on Please Wait for hours. Boot Menu shows hard drive, etc

What next?

Windows 7. Very little space is used. Mainly used to communicate with family and Facebook.
    Diane

That sounds like a hardware issue, quite probably a dying hard drive. The first thing I would try is to create a boot disc to use to run a diagnostic on the hard drive. The link below has information on how to create the boot disc needed:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...oot-CD-5-Guide

That's a bit above my head. Just a girl who can do minor repairs.
    Diane

Hardware diagnostics are a basic part of troubleshooting. You need to verify that the hard drive is good before you spend time trying to repair software. Otherwise, you could be wasting a lot of time.

We can try to help clarify the steps in the UBCD guide, but you'll probably want to ask a tech-savvy friend to help you.

Thread Information