Problem by IP address

Thread: Problem by IP address

Problem by IP address

Hi
    I hope all is well with you
    I have obtained a dedicated server and a range IPs for my customers and installed vmware esxi.
    I have created a windows server 2008 VM but the problem is that I cannot add static IP. By adding a static IP I get a error messae that tells something is wrong with the IP ino, Please what can I do to solve this problem.
    Here my IP info: Gateway: 5.9.1.54, Subnet mask: 255.255.255.248 IP: 176.9.166.32
    And here is a pic of the error message
    2577914522082966876_Snapshot_2016-01-07_235418.png

176.9.166.32 is the network address of the subnet; you can't use it for a host. You could use 176.9.166.33-38

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    176.9.166.32 is the network address of the subnet; you can't use it for a host. You could use 176.9.166.33-38
    Hi and thank you for the answer
    I have done as you said but now I've got another error message shown below:
    2366414522140377747_01.png
    Now what does it say? and how I am able to fix it?
    Thank you in advance <3

Exactly as it states, the gateway is not in the same subnet as your host. The gateway is your exit out of the network, so the host must be able to hit that first. The host can't do that if it can't find the gateway in the local subnet.

How did you get your IP, subnet, and gateway numbers? Is someone assigning them to you? That subnet is really restrictive.

Exactly as it states, the gateway is not in the same subnet as your host. The gateway is your exit out of the network, so the host must be able to hit that first. The host can't do that if it can't find the gateway in the local subnet.

How did you get your IP, subnet, and gateway numbers? Is someone assigning them to you? That subnet is really restrictive.
    HI
    Actually the gateway is my main IP address for dedicated server.
    I got them from the datacenter Hetzner (Hetzner.de).
    Is there anything wrong with them? Do i contact Hetzner?
    Thank you
    Last edited by habiballahafg; January 7th, 2016 at 09:06 PM.

5.9.1.54 is a Class A IP. You should really be consulting your ISP anyway.

Did you look at your DHCP settings BEFORE trying to set a static IP? VMWare should assign an IP for NAT VMs.
    If you are using bridged VMs, it would act like a separate physical client and hit your network's DHCP server.

5.9.1.54 is a Class A IP. You should really be consulting your ISP anyway.

Did you look at your DHCP settings BEFORE trying to set a static IP? VMWare should assign an IP for NAT VMs.
    If you are using bridged VMs, it would act like a separate physical client and hit your network's DHCP server.
    How can I look the setting for DHCP?

You'd just run ipconfig /all from a command prompt. Obviously, you'd need to change your IP settings back to "Obtain an IP address automatically" first.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314850

If you were assigned IPs from your ISP, you should consult with them. ESXI uses bridged VMs by default, so they would act like physical servers on the network.

Thread Information