Changing Hardware with 8.1

Thread: Changing Hardware with 8.1

Changing Hardware with 8.1

Hi All

Original setup was Asus P6TSE mobo, with an i7 920 CPU and Nvdia GT 630 GPU. Corsair XMS3 3 x 2GB in triple channel. All working dandy.

Noticed temp idle was sitting at high 60's and near 100c at medium load, turned out the Heatsink bracket had failed and a friend offered me some parts to upgrade:

i7 960 CPU, 32GB of Corsair XMS and a HSF.

Great! Wanted some more RAM anyway so stuck in some RAM, and while changing the HSF, I also swapped to the i7 960.

Boot...and I see only 8GB is detected. Whatever. I'll get into Windows and see which slots are having issues. Except now it wont boot into Windows at all. Right after the BIOS parts it just flashes 2 different shades of black and a blinking cursor top left which I cannot do anything with. All I can do is turn off.

Ripped out RAM, left in original. 6GB detected which is right. Same result.

*sigh*. Swapped the CPU's back over, so now my system is as original except with a decent HSF.

No luck.

All the way through, all hardware is being detected. CPU idles at 33c. All HDD's detected. RAM detected. If I remove change the boot order, it complains about it cant find bootable media, as expected.

So it's getting through BIOS and as soon as it goes to load Windows, but before any kind of splash screen, it gives me the black flashing screen.

Also cant get into Safe Mode.

So, no idea what has happened, but its broke my install. My only guess is the 960 CPU requires a different kernel driver and it somehow broke windows?

I now have another board, P8Z77-V, with HSF and CPU and 16GB RAM installed, along with a GTX 780 GPU.

So the ultimate question is - if I install this, can I just boot to a Windows 8 Recovery (I have Windows 8.1 on a USB key) and do a "repair" install, will I stand any chance of getting my old install up and running with the new hardware? Or am I definately looking at a new install?

A Repair Install should work.

Thanks jdc.

What do you suppose the issue is? That is troubling me more than anything to be honest!

Hardware all seems fine, yet it spaz's out before Windows can even boot.

Could something as simple as a small CPU change (exactly the same hardware I believe, just the chip is tuned higher) fuzz things up?

Anyways, will soon know as soon as I get home from work if the whole new setup will work.

It could have been the CPU change. Since the BIOS appears to be accessible, you should not need a BIOS update to support it, but it couldn't hurt to check the motherboard manufacturer's web site for any issues.

Next time, make only 1 change at a time. When you do multiple upgrades, you don't know which is causing the problem.

You didn't give us the exact model and stepping of the new CPU nor the BIOS version of the motherboard. The BIOS revisions for that MB do say "Support new CPUs".

https://www.asus.com/support/Downloa...y9W9o7iQ9E/30/

Thread Information