[RESOLVED] BSOD

Thread: [RESOLVED] BSOD

Resolved [RESOLVED] BSOD

Two days ago my desktop started giving me BSODs. Once it has given a BSOD it will not reboot for a while. I can't be sure, but I think it's overheating.

I timed it this morning. It ran beautifully for 20 minutes, then gave me a BSOD. That timing seems consistent with the past day, since this started. When it quit the air blowing out of the PSU was somewhat warmer than it has been in the past.

The tech data on the BSOD: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ***STOP: 0x0000000A (0xFF4177E8, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x804DBC9A)

The motherboard is an older Gigabyte, with an equally old CPU. The PSU is a brand new CoolerMaster v650. The motherboard model slips my mind at the moment, but I can find it when I open the case later today. The OS is XP.

This morning, after the BSOD, I applied new thermal paste on the CPU, hoping that would help. My next step will be to run it without the case, time it that way.

This will hasten my conversion to a slightly newer tower running W7. But I need this older one running in the interim.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is typically a driver issue. There should have been more to the message to say which driver.

You can use Bluescreenview to see the entire message:
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

You could also run a memory test and hard drive diag. Memtest86+ is on UBCD5, as well as most manufacturer's HD diags. Link is in my signature.

I removed the case this morning before booting. It booted normally, but gave a BSOD at the 5 minute mark. This was a different cause.

The BSOD: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT ***STOP: 0x00000004E (0x00000099, 0x00000000, oxoooooooo, oxoooooooo)

I rebooted after a 10 minute break. It booted normally and ran normally for 22 minutes while I did a backup of a critical file. Then I did a normal shutdown. All well and good.

While it was running I noticed that the CPU fan runs erratically. The speed varies from quite slow and jerky to what I consider normal fast. I would think that the CPU fan would run at a constant speed, fast, to keep the CPU as cool as possible. The fan can be easily unmounted from the heat sink for quick replacement.

I'm assuming that an overheating CPU would cause all sorts of problems. Should I go ahead and replace that fan on the heat sink?

Replacing the CPU fan would not be a bad idea. However, you should also run the memory test suggested by Midknyte. I would check for bulging or leaking capacitors also.

Running the various diagnostic tests will have to wait until tomorrow. My wife will complain if I spend too much time on it today.

A possible problem in running diagnostics is the fact that it has not run longer than 22 minutes at a stretch since the first BSOD. Maybe it will run longer now that the case is open. I don't know. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Set a house fan to blowing into the case. Had that work.

The tower has been running about 3 hours now without incident. Most of that time it was running UBCD 5, Memtest 86+ and WD HDD diagnostics. Everything came up clean, no indicated problems. Of course, the case is open and the house fan is sitting about 2 feet away.

My bet is still on the heatsink fan. I think I'll pull it tomorrow, the fan only, and head for the local toy store.

The fan needing replaced, is my bet too.

That fan comes out today. Aside from not turning fast enough, it make more noise than it used to. It sounds as though the bearings are going out. Or maybe the sleeve for the shaft is wallowed out. At any rate, the fan is going.

Why I like fans that have ball bearings.

UppityJim Guest
    A house fan as suggested is an excellent temp solution, can tell if the CPU fan is nutty.

The new case fan is in and running. It's certainly quieter than the old fan. Turns faster and smoother too.

The heat sink requires a 60x60x15 mm fan. I tried Central Computer, my favorite toy store, without luck. I was reduced to going to Fry's. I bought the one and only model they have in that size. It has a sleeve bearing. Maybe I'll have more warning, or heed the warning sooner, next time, so I'll be able to shop more.

Warning/reminder: Never ask a question at Fry's. The salesman, in the computer innards section, apparently does not know the difference between a case fan and a CPU fan. We couldn't find a 60x60x15 mm fan among the case fans, where he directed me and helped me look. It was elsewhere when I finally found it.

Yep, in most of those places they are sale people, just trying to make a sale.

The new heatsink fan is a success. It runs much more quietly, and cooler. I ran it for several hours last evening with an open case before putting the case back on. Then I let it run all night. Still running this morning without incident. I'm going to call this one resolved.

The house fan definitely helped. I was able to run the system for extended periods with the case open and the house fan blowing on it. There were two direct results of that. The system ran, though with added noise, and my legs were cold. But, it worked, and it confirmed my suspicions. Thank you, Sir, for the suggestion.
    Last edited by 4breezes; November 29th, 2015 at 12:07 PM.

You are Welcome.

Thread Information