[RESOLVED] excel 2003 & excel 2007 compatibility

Thread: [RESOLVED] excel 2003 & excel 2007 compatibility

Resolved [RESOLVED] excel 2003 & excel 2007 compatibility

my system, windows 8.1, Excel 2007, Int explorer/Chrome

I downloaded Excel 2003 work sheet which previously i was using with formulas( i had xp at that time ) & saved .

while 2003 is opening with 2007 in the present system, i am unable to incorporate fresh values & work.

How to solve pl.

I am not aware how the formulas were worked in 2003 as it was provided ready made.

Assuming that i could c the formulas ( hypothetical ), how to proceed ( for knowledge sake).

If you got the workbook from somewhere else, it may be protected. Check to see, and unprotect it if you can:

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#h...excel+workbook

You should be able to add values even if it is an Excell 2003 workbook.

Good Morning jdc2000,( from India )

I will revert

I went thro the above link.

Excel2003 work sheet seems unprotected as i did not c the 'unprotect' from the review tab. It showed ' allow user to edit changes' which i clicked Ok.

But still i am unable to modify.

I could see all the formulas for diff cells.

How to proceed.

What happens when you try to change a cell? Any error messages? If so, post them. Are the cells greyed out?

If the sheet is not too big and you don't have macros to transfer, what happens if you just create a new blank workbook and copy the contents of the problem sheet to a sheet in the new workbook?

What happens if you Save As the problem sheet using a new name and the .xlsx format?

When I try to change the cell contents, nothing happens. Nor any Error message.

The sheet is small. What is Macros.

Line 2 & 3 not clear.i have downloaded the 2003 work sheet in to my system & saved.
    When I use to have O/S as XP, it was easy to change the cell parameters & get result automatically.
    The same work sheet now in 8 & Excel 2007 dosent work.
    It opens & that is it. When I close it, I am able to c the blank page of 2007.
    I am unable to save the problem sheet in .xlsx format. When I clik 'saveas' it has predefined formats in down arrow.

I am sorry that I am unable to answer yr qery in more tech manner.

When you click on a cell in the problem worksheet, what happens? Do you get a bold black border around the cell? If yes, what happens if you then click on the Formula Bar (to the left of the "fx")? Do you get a blinking vertical bar cursor there?

What happens if you create a new, blank worksheet? Can you change cell contents on that?

Did you try copying the contents of the problem worksheet to a new, blank worksheet?

Are you sure that you are using Excel 2007? Click File, Help to check.

Yes, i get Bold Black Border.

No, nothing happens.

Yes, i am able to change cell contents.

yes, i tried & copied also. But not working

Yes, it is showing as ' Msoffice Excel 2007

The 2003 excel i am discussing is problamatic in 2007 & win 8.1 only. Otherwise i was happily using it in XP

I find XP more friendly than 8.1. What will happen if i revert to XP SP3, though MS say they wont support, but only pirated version available.

In 8, everything cumbersome.

jdc2000,

I just saved the blank 2007 work sheet as ' save a copy of work book that is fully compatible with excel 97-2003'( one of the 5 options it showed in the down arrow when i clicked 'save')

Then i opened the 2003 , so called problematic excel sheet.

Well, now i am able to change the parameters & get results.

If u can kindly explain what is the secret, i can learn & confidently do next time.

It appears that for some reason Excel 2007 was not recognizing Excel 97-2003 (.xls) files. Now that you have saved a blank file in that format, it appears to be recognizing them. I have not seen this behavior before. With luck, if you reboot the computer, you will still be able to open and change cell values on your Excel 2003 "problem" worksheet.

Good Morning jdc2000,

Thanks for your time.

Yes, even after Rebboot, it is working.

i will come back to disturb you if i face any other problem.

Thread Information