Backup on external hard drive

Thread: Backup on external hard drive

Question Backup on external hard drive

How do you set up a backup on windows backup, so you have your folders displayed as they are on you pc, rather tan having them buried in large number directory, that takes for ever to find?

I can't seem to do it the way i want either way you choose windows or manually, running the backup.

Is it just copying and pasting to get it done?

Windows 7

If you are not imaging the entire partition, you could just use SyncToy to set up folder pairs for backing up data files. If you are imaging an entire partition, then you probably won't be bale to do what you want.

Imaging an entire partition is mostly used so you don't have to restore Windows and re-install all of your software in case of a drive failure, or when you want to restore all files on a partition. It would only rarely be used to restore an individual file. For backing up data files, there are better solutions that allow you to replicate and view the folder structure.

I did do an image,, then i did it without,, i want te image, but i also want to access the folders, easily, maybe i should have used the software that came with the drive instead?

This is it?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=15155

You didn't say what drive or what software it came with, so we can't say if it would be any better, but chances are it would have its own issues.

The link you posted is for the Microsoft SyncToy; that is easy to install, set up, and use, and you have control of the folder structure on the backup drive. It does NOT create full partition images, so it won't replace an image backup.

Toshiba canvio connect 2tb

Link to previous thread:

http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...hd-dr-portable

That drive appears to ship with NTI Backup Now EZ software, which is supposed to be able to make backup images of a partition as well as do conventional backups. The reviews indicate that is usable, although not a top rated software package. You could try it to see if it works any better for you. Note that if you want a partition image and a mirrored set of folders for your computer, you may still need to create both backups previouosly mentioned to get those capabilities.

Thread Information