[RESOLVED] Can't get pc to connect to internet??
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Can't get pc to connect to internet??

Resolved [RESOLVED] Can't get pc to connect to internet??

My sister had a bad driver NV4_sys mini error, and she had BSOD. So I told her to bring it here and I would do a new install. I tried getting rid of the NV4 before, but no help.
    After I got windows xp media installed, I never could get it set up with internet working, I took a look at device manager and I had video and network controller with yelllow question marks on them. I have worked all evening trying to install those, I can not find them anywhere..... I went to Dell site and couldn't find them. I installed a lot of controllers but couldn't get those going. Anyone know how to help me???

Her computer is a 2005 Dell Dimension AMD Dual with windows xp media center. Broadband 10/100 intergrated is her network card. No controller was listed anywhere. I tried to setup the internet connection, but it never seen my Belkin router. My computer is a XPS Dell with windows 7 and it is connected wireless though router, I connected hers with wired from router. I was so desperate I unhooked it from router and hooked hers up direct.

Anyone have any answers for me? I sure hope so I am about to give up...

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Pattigirl
    Dell Studio XPS Intel Core i7 2.67ghz, 4gb ram, 600gb sata hdd, ATI Radeon, Realtek audio, Optiarc DVD-RW. Vista premiun 64bit

Dell Dimension 8250, 2.40ghz, P4, 512ram, 1- 200gb, 1 60gb hdds, nvidia Geforce4, Creative SB live, CDRW, DVDRW WinXP Pro

I took a look at device manager and I had video and network controller with yelllow question marks on them. I have worked all evening trying to install those, I can not find them anywhere..... I went to Dell site and couldn't find them. I installed a lot of controllers but couldn't get those going. Anyone know how to help me???
    What is the exact model number of the Dell?

Broadband 10/100 intergrated is her network card
    I think you mean Broadcom, not Broadband.

Yes Broadcom not Broadband lol It is a Dell Dimension E521, with windows xp media center.
    Dell Studio XPS Intel Core i7 2.67ghz, 4gb ram, 600gb sata hdd, ATI Radeon, Realtek audio, Optiarc DVD-RW. Vista premiun 64bit

Dell Dimension 8250, 2.40ghz, P4, 512ram, 1- 200gb, 1 60gb hdds, nvidia Geforce4, Creative SB live, CDRW, DVDRW WinXP Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    I had already found that, I have both the broadcom installed and nvidia geforce 7300 installed do I need to install all of these listed under that computer? In device manager the Broadcom is showing under network adapter and under display adapter its showing nvidia, the place the controllers are yellow is under other? video controller and network controller?

I guess I will just start installing them and see if it will accept them..

Thanks for your time....

Start with the Chipset drivers. Those are for the hardware items that are integrated onto the mainboard. You will need those installed for some of the others to work.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Start with the Chipset drivers. Those are for the hardware items that are integrated onto the mainboard. You will need those instaleld for some of the others to work.
    Thanks I will give it a try...

yellow is under other? video controller and network controller?
    Then you didn't install the network card drivers. Which of the two network card drivers did you install?

You need to install this one:
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller, v.v4.60, A02
    http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...driverId=6DYM2

The other link is NOT the drivers.
    Broadcom Advance Control Suite (Gui Diags)

I am sure I tried installing both of those, I will try again. I have installed all of the ones on that site that was for XP. So far nothing is working.. Going to make sure that one is the one I installed.

Quote Originally Posted by pattigirl View Post
    I am sure I tried installing both of those, I will try again. I have installed all of the ones on that site that was for XP. So far nothing is working.. Going to make sure that one is the one I installed.
    Well I installed the one you suggested, and no help. It finally found my Belkin, but not under gateway, it is showing under status, that it is sending and receiving, but when I try to get online, it says can't find server. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr nothing is helping. I remember now why I don't like win xp. At my house I have 3 computers, my main desktop win 7 wireless, win vista wireless, also I have win XP which is wired from my belkin router.. It just shows internet connection under gateway, not belkin? I also noticed under network adapters it shows my Broadcom and also shows 1394 network?

Please anyone know where I went wrong? I have done this so many times, never had this much trouble. I know it is something I am doing wrong, I just can't figure it out what to do???

It finally found my Belkin, but not under gateway, it is showing under status, that it is sending and receiving, but when I try to get online, it says can't find server.
    Ok. So I'm assuming the Broadcom is listed under Network adapter in Device Manager now.
    Did you change any of the TCP/IP settings for the network card?
    Go to Start - Settings - Network Connections
    There should be Local Area Connection listed. Right-click it, and click Properties.
    Choose Internet Protocol and click Properties
    Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically should be selected

Are you sure it says network adapter under the Yellow ? in Device Manager? Does that system have a modem?
    If so, did you install the drivers for it? It's possible the the modem is being mistakenly detected as a network adapter.

also shows 1394 network?
    1394 is firewire, so just ignore it.

Yes the Broadcom is showing up under Network adapters, also the 1394 firewire. No I didn't change any of the tcp/ip settings.
    The yellow question mark is beside Other Devices plus network controller and video controller.

Yes I think it does have a modem, I am not sure if I installed the modem driver, if I did I will remove it.
    I am going to give that a try and I will let you know how it goes...
    Thanks so much..fingers crossed lol

Yes I think it does have a modem, I am not sure if I installed the modem driver, if I did I will remove it.
    My point was you should INSTALL it. Then you'll know if it's the unknown network controller that Device Manager detected.

Did you reboot the modem and router after you switched cables around? I would do that again just in case.

Did you check if it's getting an IP from the router?
    Open a command prompt and run ipconfig /all. Paste the results here.

[QUOTE=Midknyte;1502815]My point was you should INSTALL it. Then you'll know if it's the unknown network controller that Device Manager detected.

Yes I rebooted the modem and the router.
    I installed the modem driver, but it didnt make any difference.

I can't figure out how to send it to you. I had to save it as rtf and you don't accept them, plus it is over 1mb.
    I had to copy it to a flash drive, but still can't send it... It wont let me copy and paste... Any suggestions?

Just copy and paste the text, not a file.

If installing the modem driver got rid of the unknown network adapter in Device Manager, then you should have the correct driver for the network card.

You didn't say which model of Belkin router you have, but the default IP of Belkin routers I've seen is 192.168.2.1. The gateway address should be the same as the router.

Thread Information