[Inactive] Told Fabar tool was not safe - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: [Inactive] Told Fabar tool was not safe

It didnt work I tried to change it to removable drive in BIOS but it did not work I think I confused instructions for both and ended up all wrong. I got to the part on the WD instructions 1
    Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS
    USB Bootable
    Setup Instructions
    I got to the quick test part and then it didnt say what to do

What didn't work? If you got to the quick test, then doesn't that mean you were able to boot from the drive?
    Just run the quick test. If it passes, then run the extended test. If that passes, your drive should be ok. If either test fails, you need to replace the drive.

After you finished the instructions on the pdf, did you follow the rest of the WD instructions?
    Instructions

Download the dlgdiag_5_22.zip.
    Create a DOS bootable USB following these instructions. =>This is the pdf
    Boot from the USB. Make sure that your boot order in your Bios is set to boot from the USB drive first.
    At DOS prompt type dlgdiag5.exe to run the program.
    You will see the following options:
    SELECT DRIVE - Always choose this option first, as it determines which drive you will be working on.
    QUICK TEST - This option tests your drive quickly for any major physical problems. (Please note: Although this option is safe and does not alter the data on your hard drive, Western Digital recommends that you have a current backup of your data).
    EXTENDED TEST - This option checks your drive thoroughly and it can repair any correctable errors. (Please note: Although this option is safe and does not alter the data on your hard drive, some data loss may occur, depending on the errors found and the errors corrected. Western Digital recommends that you have a current backup of your data).
    WRITE ZEROS TO DRIVE - The Write Zeros option, wipes all data off your drive. This option used when your data is no longer usable or recoverable. If you no longer need any data from your drive and would like to start over, run this option to set your drive to an as new condition. NOTE: Please make sure that you have selected the correct drive to perform this function on as once ran, no data will be recoverable.
    VIEW TEST RESULTS - You can see the results of the test you just performed
    PRINT TEST RESULTS - Test results can be printed with this option. USB printers are not supported
    LOG FILE OPEN/CLOSE - You can access the log file which is generated automatically
    ENTER AND PRINT RMA INFORMATION - Information pertaining to each drive tested can be customized and printed with this option.
    HELP - Brief descriptions of each option in addition to explanations of error codes are available in this option.
    QUIT - Reboot your system once you have completed the selected tasks
    Select the task you wish to perform.

I am not very good at explaining what I am doing. I got to the Quick test but didnt know what to do at that point. I have the dlgdiag_5_22.zip on my desktop but it is also on the flash drive should it be?
    I am going to carefully read the rest of the instructions.

I don't see how you got to the Quick test if you didn't boot from the flash drive.

I have the dlgdiag_5_22.zip on my desktop but it is also on the flash drive should it be?
    No, you do NOT put dlgdiag_5_22.zip on the flash drive.

From pg.5 on the WD pdf:
    After downloading DLGDiag from WD Support, extract or double-click to open the folder and copy
    dlgdiag5.exe (Figure 6) to the bootable USB flash drive. Do not put the file in a folder. (Figure 7).
    You need to extract dlgdiag5.exe from dlgdiag_5_22.zip.
    Open dlgdiag_5_22.zip as shown in Figure 6.
    Open the dlgdiag_5_22 folder, then DOSDLG_5_22 folder.
    Drag and drop dlgdiag5.exe to the flash drive.

You don't really need to eject the drive, if you are running the diags on the same system.

I tried to change it to removable drive in BIOS but it did not work
    There should be a USB drive option in the BIOS, not just removable drive.
    You still didn't tell us the make/model, so I can't be more specific than that.

After you boot from the drive, you need to type dlgdiag5.exe at the DOS prompt and hit Enter

I will try to answer your questions
    I don't know how either but did a quick test can I send a scan of it to you?
    I didn't see anything about USB drive in BIOS
    Is this what you needed it says system model GF8100M2+TE?
    I wish I could start all over cause I printed out so many things I am not sure what is what and have all this stuff on my desttop.

from page 5 After downloading DLGDiag from WD Support, extract or double-click to open the folder and copy
    dlgdiag5.exe (Figure 6) to the bootable USB flash drive. Do not put the file in a folder. (Figure 7).
    That is what mixed me up the part that says copy to bootable usb???

I back tracked to see what I was doing well kind of. This is what I think happened when I first had the problem when using that rufus thing I think when I clicked on the disc icon and it saidclick on the disc button to select bootable image or uncheck the Create a bootable disc using check book
    I did not do that but when I clicked start I think it to FREE DOS and I did not want that
    Should I have unchecked the box or what?

I don't know how either but did a quick test can I send a scan of it to you?
    It's either pass or fail. I'm not sure what scan you're talking about. It doesn't sound like you ran the WD DLG diags.

GF8100M2+TE
    That's the motherboard, but it helps. It's an older motherboard, so it doesn't seem to have a dedicated USB option.
    It would be better for you to create a bootable CD instead. That's why it was so important for you to tell us the make/model.

Unfortunately, WD doesn't have an bootable CD download anymore, but UBCD5 has the WD DLGDiags in it.

Please look at the UBCD5 Guide thread. Post #1 has instructions on downloading the UBCD5 file. Then you need to burn the .iso file to a CD. The 2 links at the bottom of Post #1 have instructions for that. After you create the UBCD5 CD, go to Post #4 for hard drive diag instructions. Like I said, WD DLGDiags is pass or fail.
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...oot-CD-5-Guide

Does Biostar mean anything? I have the box the it came in I feel like your in college and I am starting kindergarden. I really want to do this so I appreciate your patience but I can picture you pulling out your hair by now.

Biostar is the manufacturer of the motherboard.
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/...n.php?S_ID=380

If this is getting too technical for you, you could always ask a friend to download and burn you a copy of UBCD5.

It's important to confirm that the hard drive is good. If it's bad, you'll just be wasting time doing software fixes.

Possibly WD Data Lifeguard for Windows will be easier option.
    Not as reliable as bootable CD but it may give us some idea.

I am just concerned with you because I know it has to be frustrating to deal with a person such as myself.

I dont know if this is possible but could I start over with all new instructions and I will get rid of all the things I printed out and got so mixed up over. If you dont want to I understand cause as I said it is frustrating for a person that know what they are doing dealing with a person that doesn't

Download Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows from here: http://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx
    You can run it from within Windows.

Possibly WD Data Lifeguard for Windows will be easier option.
    Not as reliable as bootable CD but it may give us some idea.
    If all else fails, I suppose it's better than nothing. I only run DLG for Windows on secondary drives or external USB drives.

I am just concerned with you because I know it has to be frustrating to deal with a person such as myself.
    No sweat. I've dealt with people much worse.

You can try Broni's suggestion. Make sure to disconnect any flash drives or external hard drives before running the diags.
    http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=940

Just be aware that running the diags from the drive being scanned could cause weird errors or crashes.

Thread Information