Indexing files

Thread: Indexing files

Indexing files

As I understand it, the W8.1 Search facility (that finds a file containing a target word) looks through files only on the C:\ hard drive and that it does not search other external drives. Is that correct?

I think, but am not sure, that one can have the Search include the eternal drive by (somehow) INDEXING one's files. I would appreciate an explanation of how I do that indexing. Thanks.

...wdc

Possibly useful links:

Check the second answer at this link:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...bdaa6dd?auth=1
    If you are trying to add D: drive to Indexing location, you may check if you are performing the correct steps.

a. Press “Windows key + W”.
    b. Type Indexing Options in search box.
    c. Select Indexing Options.
    d. Click on Modify and put check mark for D: drive.
    e. Click on Ok.
    f. Check if D: drive is showing in Indexing Options.
    http://superuser.com/questions/60055...ry-hard-drives

jdc2000: Thanks for your continued help. I followed the steps (a-f in the balloon) in the link you sent me but my pc still does not find target words in files that are on my external drive.

For example: I have a file named Sundaytestd.odt on my external hard drive D:\ that contains the word “peru” (without the quote marks). When I RC the listing and click Properties I confirm it is in the D:\ drive. And when I LC its name I can view it and verify that it contains the word “peru”.

But when I try to search for a file containing the word “peru” --- by clicking the MS START + F buttons and entering the word peru in the query slot – the pc fails to find the Sundaytestd.odt file.

What could be wrong?

When I first posted this question I thought there would be a simple answer. But from the several queries I saw on the URL you suggested I am amazed to find that others have this problem and that the fixes discussed are complex and so innovative. What was MS thinking? The Search function in XP was so simple.

Is the problem somehow related to the Library creation process I wonder? After I add the word peru to a file and resave it do I have to do something to see that the file is re-indexed to show the change? When DOES the reindexing take place? Do I have to restart the pc?

Is there a third-party app (hopefully a free one) that I can use for searches, in place of what W8.1 offers?

I'd be glad to get more help here. … wdc

Thread Information