Getting disconnected often

Thread: Getting disconnected often

Getting disconnected often

I have a desktop and a laptop. In the last few weeks, i have noticed an increase in the number of times that i get "disconnected" from the internet.

I am using a D-Link to connect wirelessly (i am too far from the router to get connected directy) on my desktop. I know it is not the router that is the issue as the laptop does not get disconnected when i notice it on the desktop, so i am suspecting a hardware issue. When it happens, i can just open the Network and Sharing Center, where i see the red x between the house icon and the internet icon. Once i click on that X, i get the Windows Network Diagnostics window open, and after it "works" for a minute or so, i get these problems found:

The connection between your access point, router or cable modem and the Internet is broken - Detected - (and i have a warning icon)
    The default gateway is not available - Fixed - an OK icon

Once that appears, the connection is restored. (until the next time)

I am wondering how i can check whether it is the D-Link that is the problem or something else, before going and buying another one "to try".

Thanks

Moved to Networking forum.

What is the exact model of the router?

Did you reboot the router? Even if the laptop is working, you should reboot the router.

Are you using 2.4 or 5Ghz? What encryption type are you using?

What is the exact model of the router?
    From what i can see, it is a ActionTec

Did you reboot the router? Even if the laptop is working, you should reboot the router.
    That has been done in the past but the problem keeps

Are you using 2.4 or 5Ghz? What encryption type are you using?
    Hum... i have no idea what you are talking about. Can you clarify and explain where i can get that information?

From what i can see, it is a ActionTec
    That's just the brand. Model#? It sounds like you are using a modem/router combo.

I am using a D-Link to connect wirelessly
    So that's a wireless adapter? Model#? Details help.

Hum... i have no idea what you are talking about. Can you clarify and explain where i can get that information?
    Wireless networks use either a 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band. Most would use 2.4, unless you have 802.11n or ac. Make sure there are no microwaves or cordless telephones between the client and the router.

Read these:
    http://www.linksys.com/us/support-ar...icleNum=134478
    http://www.howtogeek.com/167783/htg-...hy-it-matters/

Model#?
    I wish i could find it but i can't get it off the wall from its current location. I might try to call my internet provider to find out, if they have that info on my own installation.

The D-Link i am using is this:
    http://ca.dlink.com/products/connect...0-usb-adapter/

Make sure there are no microwaves or cordless telephones between the client and the router.
    There is none right in-between but some in the house!

Wireless networks use either a 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz band.
    Based on the links you provided, i might have just the 2.4 GHz

If you can't find the model number, it will be hard for me to look up the procedures to alter the router settings.

You should scan and see if there are any neighboring wifi networks. You can use Wifiinfoview to see the networks around you.
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html

You want to set your router's wifi channel to the least use channel. In North America, you would choose from channel 1, 6, or 11.

Microwaves and cordless phones can interfere with the 2.4GHz signal.

Did you update your Dlink adapter driver? You didn't say which version of Windows you are running.

You should scan and see if there are any neighboring wifi networks.
    I can see in the available network that occasionally, there will be one in addition to our own. Houses are quite far from each other here.

Did you update your Dlink adapter driver? You didn't say which version of Windows you are running.
    I am running Windows 7 on both computers. I'll check for the Dlink driver as i have not updated it (didn't think it might need to). So i just did now, but can't really check if the problem is addressed or not as it is quite random.

I'll check with my provider (the one who installed the router) to see if they can give me a model number.

Thread Information