Cannot Reformat HD With Windows 8 ?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Reformat HD With Windows 8 ??

Ah, you chose to wipe the disk first. That takes a long time. Was there sensitive data you wanted to erase before formatting?

It's not the USB dock. It's the fact that you chose to wipe the disk. It has to write over every sector of the drive.

Ah yes, but I didn't choose to wipe. It's a bad case of not knowing what ur doing cuz you didn't take the time to read any instructions. Anyway, I hope in the end, I'll be able to install an OS. That'll be tomorrow. I was given this old Gateway computer which had windows 8. It was really messed up so I decided to reformat & go with windows 7. Now you know the rest of the story ) I'll post back tomorrow with the results.. And thanks again... Have a great eve.
    Where there's a will, there's a way

I did a delete on each part. and a wipe partition
    But you just said you did a wipe?

If something was wrong with the system, I would have run a diag on the drive first. If the drive is bad, then no sense messing around with partitioning/formatting. Oh well.

I did the wipe because I did not know that it would wind up being this slow. I have never used this program before. The pc would not even boot. thus the reason for the give-away. As for messing around with partitioning etc, it is good exercise for the brain. Soon be 82. Need all the exercise I can get..............

Use the snipping tool.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

I use mine so much I have set mine to Ctrl+At+s

I resolved the formatting issue. The drive is now formatted & ready to go. However, now I got this problem with loading windows7. I am pretty sure it is a Gateway issue. I insert the cd, it starts loading the files & a few moments later, it says "starting windows" and there it hangs.. still working on it ..............

Update.. The last issue is resolved also. cased closed. Thanks guys....

HOLD ON A MINUTE!! thought I was out of the woods, but not so . This PC I'm fiddling with is a Gateway DX4370. From what I seem to gather, the MB will not accept any OS except Windows 8. It doesn't even have a cmos battery. I Wanted to install windows 7, but cannot. Even if I purchased a win8 cd (perish the thought) I would probably not be able to update to windows 10 because Gateway's website only offers drivers for windows 8. It's a nice tower, so I wouldn't want to just trash it. Thought maybe if there is no way out to change the MB..Am I stuck ??

Did you try installing Windows 7? If so, what happened? Windows 7 may have drivers available even if Gateway doesn't.

It will start by loading files , then it goes to starting windows, then hangs there. If I go into bios setup & change "secure boot" from disabled to enabled . the PC boots to a warning sign which read: secure boot violation. invalid signature detected. check secure boot policy in setup.

You should not need or want to enable the Secure Boot in the BIOS. If it loads the initial files, then hangs when trying to boot, that probably indicates a driver issue. You could try to see if it will restart in Safe Mode (press F8 while booting).

I doubt if it is installing "initial files" because it takes less than a minute before it goes to the "starting windows" mode. I've never heard of a "F8 safe mode" when installing an OS from a CD. Anyway it doesn't exist here. I did try it however....

If the initial install phase only ran for a minute, then it probably did not get far enough to install anything. I was thinking that the first phase had completed and the installer rebooted like it ususally does. At that point a boot into Safe Mode might be possible.

Did you change to LEGACY BOOT instead of UEFI? You need to disable Secure Boot AND change to Legacy (MBR) Boot.

I do not have legacy boot nor UEFI OPTIONS.. I did some switching around in the bios boot options & was able to get past the license agreement etc in the win7 boot .when it got to the spot : " where do you want to install windows?" I got a message stating: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.
    The hard drive is a single partition "Disk 0 Partition 1 468.8gb (total size) 468.7gb (free space) TYPE Primary.
    The drive checks out fine in disk management on another pc....

Thread Information