Cannot Reformat HD With Windows 8 ??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Reformat HD With Windows 8 ??

Cannot Reformat HD With Windows 8 ??

Hope I can get some help here. I have a 500gb Seagate HD that had windows 8 installed. I want to reformat the HD for max access. However, I could delete the main portion (C) but there are 4 additional partitions that are greyed out preventing me from deleting them. I used to know how to do this but have forgotten. Any help?
    Thanks.......
    Where there's a will, there's a way

I forgot to mention that the HD was originally setup by Gateway....

Alas!! I erred again.. The title of the query should have read: A Hard drive with win8 OS will not reformat completely >> sorry about that ..

Is this drive the one you are booting the computer from?

Post a screenshot of Disk Management so that we can see what you are talking about.

What are you using to partition/format the drive? If Disk Management doesn't work, you can try Minitool
    http://www.7tutorials.com/how-manage...gement-utility
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html

Midknyte, I am not sure how to produce a screen shot of the disk management window. However, I am using a pc with windows 7 & using a SATA docking station to do the formatting. As shown in disk management there are 5 partitions: two on the right, two on the left. The main partition in the middle which was the C drive. It deleted ok . The four remaining are: 400mb (recovery) 300mb (recovery) 450mb (Recovery) & 16.gb (recovery) & they all say "healthy"....... Hope this helps. I'll wait for a comment before I venture into the websites you mentioned....

BTW, this http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html offered "MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition 9.1" but when I try to get it I keep getting bombbarded with wanting me to dl a "download manager file". AVG rejects anything I try to get from this site ??

Don't use the download manager. You can try downloading from one of these sites instead.

http://filehippo.com/download_minito..._home_edition/
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...e_edition.html

Do you mean you don't know how to take a screenshot or that you don't know how to attach it?

For a screenshot, you just press ALT+PRNTSCRN and paste into MS Paint (or another image editor).

You know, I don't remember ever having a need to do a "PRNTSCRN" with the built-in app. I do have a program that I use periodically called "Print Screen Deluxe".
    Unfortunately I do not have it installed on this pc I'm presently working with.
    Anyway, I now have the file [pwfree91] from ur recent posted website. I'll see what I can do with it.
    Thanks again Midknyte, as usual, ur always a great help...........Oh, btw, the built in print screen won't work on this win7 pc (

ALT+PRNTSCRN has been built into Windows for a long time. If you installed another tool, that might be overriding the built-in printscreen. Like I said, you need to paste the image into something like MSPaint; it doesn't create a file automatically.

I'll check out the print screen function later. This Mini Tool Partition Wizard is a pretty neat tool. It is quite simple to use, however it is extremely slow. Been going for a couple hours & only 66% done. I imagine that the upgrade would be faster, but heck, cant quibble over a free-bee.............

It shouldn't be that slow. What did you do exactly? You should have removed all the partitions first, created a new partition, and then formatted.

Are you sure the drive is good? Did you run any diags on it?

No, didn't even think about running a diagn. Let's see: I did a delete on each part. and a wipe partition. don't remember what order. Then I clicked on apply & then it started motating... it is apparently wiping sectors & states 12 of 17 pending operations. There is three blue colored graphs. One is: Total 67% One is: wipe partition disk 49% and the other is: writing data 49%......Maybe I goofed ?

BTW, this is being processed thru a HD docking station via USB. Maybe that's what making it slow??

Thread Information