[RESOLVED] frontpage site's server eaching the end of it's life. what to do now?

Thread: [RESOLVED] frontpage site's server eaching the end of it's life. what to do now?

Resolved [RESOLVED] frontpage site's server eaching the end of it's life. what to do now?

my company (www.broadwaycostumes.com) rents costumes to high schools, universities, etc for theatrical productions (ie, phantom of the opera, addams family, etc) as well as to individuals for masquerade, halloween, etc. we also sells cosmetics, hair goods, etc.

we have two accounts on www.hostmysite.com. one hosts a sql database and perl software to handle the retail part of the business (software outsourced many many years ago since this is beyond me). the rental side is written in frontpage and takes advantage of forms, insertions of pages and pictures into multiple pages, etc.

hostmysite has just notified me that the rental site is being migrated to a new server and fp extensions will no longer be available.

i guess have two choices here: i can look for someplace that still has fp extensions or i can do a total re-write of the site.

i have googled "frontpage web hosting" and found a number of places that, supposedly, still offer fp extensions. the few i have researched (trk hosting, alentius) have terrible reviews. does anyone know of any reliable places left that can host fp sites?

the other option is to re-write the site. this is a daunting image. there are thousands photos and a hierarchy of pages on the current site. i looked at squarespace (since they offer a free trial) but it appears that they are geared toward businesses with limited inventory. i have seen wordpress sites but they again seem to be just a sequence of diary-like pages. can anyone point me in a direction here?

is this something i can even CONSIDER doing? or is it time to outsource this whole website business? if so, can anyone recommend a source for this?

thanks in advance,

terry
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU. 16GB DDR4-3200MHz RGB RAM. 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU. Windows 10. ViewSonic & Asus monitors.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    I can't help that way but perhaps our sister site can.

http://www.aspmessageboard.com/forum.php

thanks, lady (i think).

what is ASP? the forum names, etc on that site are completely greek to me (and this from someone who actually HAD one year of greek in high school lol).
    Last edited by terryZ; September 25th, 2015 at 02:35 PM.
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU. 16GB DDR4-3200MHz RGB RAM. 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU. Windows 10. ViewSonic & Asus monitors.

You may still use FrontPage to develop your website even though the server is migrating to a new server that doesn't support FP extensions. Designing a new website might be something to consider for the future. I stopped using FrontPage about 10 yrs ago.

FP: Using FrontPage Without the Server Extensions
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/143101
    Eric

i guess so. tho it relies heavily on fp's INSERT command, that is, having certain pictures/verbiage inserted into multiple pages. i guess i could start replacing those with hard text. *sigh*

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    what is ASP?
    It is our sister site, meaning it's owned by the same company that owns VDR. It's a website help forum.

yes, but what does ASP stand for?

ASP.NET is an open-source[2] server-side Web application framework designed for Web development to produce dynamic Web pages. It was developed by Microsoft to allow programmers to build dynamic web sites, web applications and web services.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASP.NET
    Here is another sister site:
    http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/index.php
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

thanks, lady & steve, for your links.

it seems to me more and more that it would be a major PITA to try to de-FP our FP site. so that boils down to me writing something in wordpress or hiring someone to do it. i have a few feelers out and have had a nibble that i talked to this morning.

again, thanks for you help.

Thread Information