[RESOLVED] Can't play games after Windows 7 update

Thread: [RESOLVED] Can't play games after Windows 7 update

Resolved [RESOLVED] Can't play games after Windows 7 update

I have Flight Sim 2004 and Grand Theft Auto III purchased as disc games. Ever since the update yesterday (Sept 8), I have not been able to play either one. Used to be just double-clicking on the shortcut would launch the game. Now double-clicking gives me an error saying it must be run as administrator. When I right-click and say Run as Administrator, nothing happens. I have tried giving permissions at the user level for full control but no luck.

I remember reading that in Windows 10, some of these older disc playing games wouldn't work because of DRM but didn't understand if that applied here, especially because I'm still on Win 7.
    My equipment:

Acer Aspire AX3300-U1322 Desktop (sorry didn't build this time!), 4Gb RAM, AMD Athlon II quad core CPU

Do a system restore to a point when it worked then install the updates one at a time to see which caused the problem then either uninstall it and hide it or see if there's a work around once others find they have the same problem.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Do a system restore like fink said.

I'd also stop doing automatic Windows update, if you haven't already. You could go with "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them". Unless it's a Zero-day patch, it's good to wait a few days until the dust settles.

Will try that - thanks for the fast reply both of you. They pushed out like 20 updates yesterday so hard to tell which one was the culprit but only way to know is one by one
    My equipment:

Acer Aspire AX3300-U1322 Desktop (sorry didn't build this time!), 4Gb RAM, AMD Athlon II quad core CPU

Nice find.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Yes, nice find! That does seem to be the same issue that I referred to about Windows 10. Strange because you'd think a purchased game with discs would not have such security issues.

I ran system restore and it said failed to restore because possibly I did not disable virus scanner. But something must have happened because the games work now! I checked Windows Update history and all the updates from 9/8 are still there (I restored to the point just before). Go figure - still scratching my head.
    My equipment:

Thread Information