Computer freezes up ~ I must unplug to reboot . - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Computer freezes up ~ I must unplug to reboot .

In April 2014 I had the graphics card replaced due to a faulty OEM built in by HP. They updated the drivers for that. Is the graphics card the same thing as a video driver issue?

Can you guide me through the process of checking then updating (if necessary) the video driver, or is that not something I can do?

Thanks Train
    Lucy

graphics card = video card

Open Device manager, expand the graphics card
    R-click and select properties
    Select the Drivers tab and post what it says.

That window will resemble this one.

It could also be a memory problem. You could try running a memory test program from the Ultimate Boot CD - see the link in Midknyte's signature line.

Train ~ I hope this works for screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lucy

OKAY, you got that driver from M$ options.
    Not a good place to get drivers from as they are old and goof up a computer.
    Use the roll back button there and see if that corrects the problem

I did the 'rollback' function and attached is the new driver info. Both are M$, just that this one is older. Should I attempt to download a driver from a more reliable source?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lucy

jdc2000 ~ I am not ignoring your suggestion to use the link in Midknyte's post...I'm just not knowledgable enough to follow the instructions.
    Lucy

nVidia GeForce GTX 670M (laptop) drivers - start at the link below and make the appropriate selections to download the driver. ou will need to know if you are running a 32-bit or 64-bit OS.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

Mine is a desktop GT 620 with a 64-bit OS, so will the site have drivers for me as well?
    Lucy

Yes. Just select the appropriate options to locate the driver you need.

I selected my system's OS and driver model and it states I need to download JAVA. Also there are 10 drivers to choose from, all with different release dates. Do I just choose the most recent one?

thanks for walking me through this. I just had to reboot again AFTER I selected the 'rollback' option.
    Lucy

I selected my system's OS and driver model and it states I need to download JAVA. Also there are 10 drivers to choose from, all with different release dates. Do I just choose the most recent one?
    You don't need to install Java. I suspect you chose the option to use the Nvidia downloader, not a normal download.

This is the link to the latest driver for the 620GT x64: http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/90494/en-us

Midknyte ~ I click the btn to download the file. It asks if I want to save it or cancel the process. I clk save & it goes to my desktop. When I clk it to run there is no run option. A window opedns saying windows cannot open this file: Windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it. Windows can go online to look it up automaticlly, or you can manually select from a list of pgms that are installed on your computer. What do you want to do?
    Use the web svc to find the correct pgm.
    select a pgm from a list of installed pgms.

I have never had a problem downloading before. Why is this so difficult? What do I need to do?
    Lucy

You clicked "Download" and then "Agree & Download", right?
    What is the name of the file? It should be 355.82-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe

What browser are you using?

You don't need to assign an .exe to a program to run it. Again, it sounds like you chose the Nvidia downloader, not a normal download. I'll have to test the download in a different browser.

Now the icon downloaded to my desktop has changed. It has colors etc. So I clicked it again and it asks me to 'specify the folder where the driver files are to be saved?
    Then it shows: extraction path:
    C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\355.82\win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International. I guess I say 'ok'....right?
    Lucy

Thread Information