Windows 10 Setup on a USB drive. Can I use it on other PCs?

Thread: Windows 10 Setup on a USB drive. Can I use it on other PCs?

Windows 10 Setup on a USB drive. Can I use it on other PCs?

I have three laptops with Win 7 Pro 64Bit. I downloaded from the Media Creation Tool and chose USB. I then ran the installation on laptop 1 from the USB and had my Windows 10.

My question is can just use this same USB stick and upgrade my other two laptops? Or do I have to download the Media Creation Tool on these other two laptops separately?

From laptop 1 with my newly installed Win 10 I started the Media Creation Tool again and chose ISO file this time. I then burned that to a DVD. Can I use that on my other two laptops?

Or do I have to do everything separately on laptop 2 & 3?

I guess that's simple enough to understand.

Geeze while I at it I may as well ask. Should I wait for a few months or 6 months to even consider Windows 10 on my other computers?

I just wanted to get it at least on one computer and that's my laptop 1 just to have it and to play with it.
    Last edited by jonnyb; September 3rd, 2015 at 08:02 PM.
    Note: My questions may be to help others
    Thanks, JB

It is still beta.
    The first update.

Windows 10 beta build th2_release Professional 10525 now available
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/297...available.html

And it takes some time to install.

Code:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10525]
    (c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ver

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10525]

Not sure what you mean. R U saying that my Windows 10 is a beta? I did a ver and it says: [Version 10.0.10240]
    Thanks, JB

Windows 10 became available on July 29. Train mentioned the Windows 10 Insider Preview which the current build is Build 10532.

Before you make an upgrade on the laptop, you might want to check if your computer manufacturer has test and is supported for the Windows 10 upgrade. You can create a USB/DVD drive to download once and upgrade multiple PCs that are eligible for the upgrade. You might have to download the appropriate edition of Windows 10 for the version/edition of Windows you are upgrading. Just open the Get Windows 10 app and reserve if you haven't already. After you upgraded, Windows 10 is free on that device.

For more details, please see:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...ows-10-upgrade

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-faq
    Eric

[QUOTE=ecross;1499483]Windows 10 became available on July 29. Train mentioned the Windows 10 Insider Preview which the current build is Build 10532.

Before you make an upgrade on the laptop, you might want to check if your computer manufacturer has test and is supported for the Windows 10 upgrade. You can create a USB/DVD drive to download once and upgrade multiple PCs that are eligible for the upgrade. You might have to download the appropriate edition of Windows 10 for the version/edition of Windows you are upgrading. Just open the Get Windows 10 app and reserve if you haven't already. After you upgraded, Windows 10 is free on that device.

Not what I asked. But:
    On September 2nd 2015 I did this:
    I did create a USB and A DVD of Windows 10.
    I did download the appropriate version.
    I got the Windows 10 App.
    I did reserve from the App.
    I used the Creation tool manually.
    I now have Version 10.0.10240 and it works great.

So what did I ask? Oh yeah. Can I use the USB or DVD for other computers? So since that may have been answered(I think your answer was copied and pasted from somewhere that may be reliable though)

I guess my next question is: I got Version 10.0.10240 now. Is this a version that is not a beta and I can use it normally or should I update to a newer version?

Also should I wait for the latest version before I do this on another computer?
    Thanks, JB

Can I use the USB or DVD for other computers?
    Yes as long as it is for the same version of Win7 or 8.
    I got Version 10.0.10240 now
    That is the latest at user level.

As long as you are not using Nvidia video drivers, which has been a fight for folks, that should be taken into account.

I have not heard of anyone being successful in upgrading win 7 home 32 or 64 hit yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post

I have not heard of anyone being successful in upgrading win 7 home 32 or 64 hit yet.
    You mean people with Nvidia? I have read something on that if this is what you mean, the Nvidia drivers.
    Thanks, JB

win 7 home 32 or 64 at present always errors out while trying to upgrade. We have no idea why either.
    Feel free to to try, you just might be lucky.

Oh, OK, yeah my Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro on my Latitude E6420 works great, no problems. Ok, good to know. I saw another computer with Win 7 Home upgraded to Win 10 Home and it was all screwed up. Did not even have the choice to Go back to Win 7. Found Go back to recent build though. Don't know if this is the same thing. Anyhow I even tried that and it failed. Have you ever seen the Go back to the recent build choice?
    Thanks, JB

Yes it shows up, and some where all blown away like you posted, those that had their backups, had to use them, a few it rolled back like it should have.

Good discussion on Windows 10, good things to know.
    Thanks, JB

Thread Information