[RESOLVED] CCKM

Thread: [RESOLVED] CCKM

Resolved [RESOLVED] CCKM

In order to connect Dell Windows 7 laptop to wifi, I need to change security type from CCKM to WPA personal. But when the change is attempted the dropdown immediately reverts back to CCKM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Try changing to no encryption first, and then to WPA.

Is this a work laptop? CCKM is not common, unless you're in a corporate environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    Try changing to no encryption first, and then to WPA.

Is this a work laptop? CCKM is not common, unless you're in a corporate environment.
    Can you be more specific about changing to no encryption? Where exactly do I do that?

It's not a work computer. Our former router was a linksys. Now using Arris.

So you changed routers/WAPs? Please explain exactly what you are trying to do.

Are you sure the SSID is the same? If not, you shouldn't have to change anything. Just add a new Wifi network with the new SSID and passphrase.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    So you changed routers/WAPs? Please explain exactly what you are trying to do.

Are you sure the SSID is the same? If not, you shouldn't have to change anything. Just add a new Wifi network with the new SSID and passphrase.
    The router is recognized by the laptop, but unable to connect. All other devices in the house work fine. According to Time Warner tech support, I need to be able to change the security type from CCKM to WPA personal, and it won't change.

So your new router uses WPA, but for some reason it tries to use CCKM? Like I asked before, is the SSID (network name) the same as the old router? If not, create a new connection to the new SSID with WPA and the passphrase.

If they are using the same SSID, you can try editing the settings. Click on the Wifi icon in the systray (bottom right). Right-click on your SSID and click Properties. You can change the Security type and Encryption type and enter the Network security key (aka passphrase). If you can't change directly to CCKM, choose Security type Open and encryption None. Click OK to save, and then go back and change to WPA.

I was able to change the encryption and then change CCKM, and then enter password.

Thanks. Please mark resolved.

You can do that by going to Thread tools above your first post open it and mark it resolved.

Thread Information