[RESOLVED] SSD drive install - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [RESOLVED] SSD drive install

The desktop (also a UEFI) saw the SSD on boot and loaded Win 7 with no problems. Even booted to Win 7. I formatted the SSD from a external case, put it in the laptop (UEFI lists it as HD/SSD). Tried both Win 7 CD and the toshiba recovery CD, but as soon as I turn on the laptop it goes directly to the "no bootable device found". All I can do is turn it off, no other function works. The SSD has been formatted twice so far in my effort. I know the SSD is ok because it works in the desktop, the laptop works fine with the original HD in it.

Kind of frustrating. I appriciate everyone's help.
    Last edited by Swedeman; August 28th, 2015 at 03:47 PM.

Look at the laptop hdd, does it have jumpers on it?

It's strange that you can't boot from the CD/DVD. You set the boot order to CD/DVD first, right?

Are you trying to reinstall Win8.1 or change to Win7? To install Win7, you should disable Secure boot and use CSM. It's possible that the Toshiba recovery requires CSM. That doesn't make sense, but it's possible. You could switch back to UEFI after the recovery.

Weird. I went back into UEFI, the secure boot is disabled, SSD is first to boot, I changed the boot speed from fast to normal, now it saw the DVD and is loading the Win7 CD. When it's done, I'm going to try to load the toshiba recovery CD (win8.1). Here's hoping.

OK, it's loading the toshiba recovery CD now. Why would the boot speed make a difference?

Ah. You need to use Boot speed Normal to boot from discs. It should have been set to Normal by default.

https://kb.cadzow.com.au:444/cadzow/...s.aspx?ID=2509
    Some Toshiba notebook models provide an option in the BIOS (Setup) for Boot Speed: Fast. This option causes the system to only boot from the internal hard disk, and disables the startup functions such as F2 (Setup) and F12 (Boot Media). By default the Boot Speed is Normal.

If you are unable to boot from a CD/DVD on a Toshiba laptop, or access the BIOS setup functions, this may be the reason.

YES! Up and running now, using the laptop for this. The whole problem was the boot speed. I'll have to remember that in the future.
    Thank you everyone for your help.

Thanks Midknyte, have it set for normal. Funny, something so simple..........

Thread Information