Can I use Gateway case to build new computer?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I use Gateway case to build new computer?

Can I use Gateway case to build new computer?

I was wanting to have a new desktop built for me in the near future. I would do it myself, but I'm afraid I might mess something up. My confidence level is about nil with doing something like that anyway. I have a few questions though.
    I have a Gateway DX4870 sitting on the floor in my bedroom and I don't use it. It's almost brand new. I am currently using a Dell Inspiron now, but I would like to have a gamer system built.
    My questions are these. I like the way the Gateway looks and wonder if I can use that case to build a new system or would you recommend to go with another case? I'm talking high end here. I would replace the mobo, Intel i7 quad core 4.0 cpu, ram with 32gbs, ps with 600 watts, and a 2t WD Black Caviar hdd.
    Now, what about the fans? I know of two, the cpu and the power supply, but wouldn't I need another fan or two to keep a high end system cool? Can I add more fans to that case or are two fans enough? I also have two usb ports near the top front of the Gateway. A mic and a headphone jack too. Will all those work after the rebuild?
    Before I get ahead of myself, I just need to find out if I can have all this work done and use the Gateway case? If I need a new case, then I am open to suggestions. Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by KevinB11; August 26th, 2015 at 06:35 PM.

You did not say what video card you were thinking of using. That case is a little small for a gaming system. You might be able to find a motherboard, power supply, and video card that you could squeeze into it, with maybe one more fan, but you would have the case fully packed. You may want to look through the cases available from newegg.com to see if there is something you like that has a little more room.

jdc2000, yeah I forgot to mention the video card. Anyway I had one picked out and it is an EVGA Geforce GTX 960. I have checked out cases at both Amazon and Newegg. I think I'm leaning toward an Antec case. I don't care about all the flash with windowed cases and the different colored lights they give off. Thanks for responding. I'm hoping my case will work ok though.

Made sure they have plenty of fans to get rid of the heated air.

If you go with the shorter single fan version of that video card, it will probably fit OK with a slim extra fan mounted at the front of the case. The longer version of the card that usually has 2 fans might not fit in the Gateway case. You will definitely have to measure carefully and check the specs on the components you choose to make sure that you can get all of them into that case, and you will want to see if you can find a power supply that fits that has 2 fans and get the highest CFM fan for the case you can find that will fit. Even then, heat might still be an issue.

Thanks jdc2000, I'll definitely keep what you said in mind.

Higher the cfm, the higher RPM, the noise level normally is. 19dB is quiet. 50db I do not want to be anywhere near it.

jdc2000 and Train, others. I took off the cover to my Gateway DX4870 the other day and noticed I have 4 rows of ram, but only 2 have memory for a total of 6 GB's. I can put in 32 GB's. I also checked the specs for the pc and I found out that the stock cpu is an Intel 3.3 GHz. There is also room for a video card and at least one extra fan. What would you say if I just decide to add the ram, hdd, video card, P.S. and fan(s) to it? I would save a lot of cash if I decide to do it that way. I think that would work out fine. What would you say? Thanks

Speed it up. Chang the 5400 rpm hdd to a SSD.

This is you computer?
    http://www.cnet.com/products/gateway...gb-1-tb/specs/

6 GB of ram should be more than plenty.
    Crucial say
    our Gateway DX4870 Series
    system specs as shipped
    memory

Maximum memory: 16384MB
    Slots:4 (2 banks of 2)
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compat.../dx4870-series

Remember you want the air to flow through the case, taking the heated air out of it.
    Now if it has a Bestech PS, that has to go like yesterday before it takes out the mobo and everything else.
    Just worked on a gateway with one. Case is the only usable item left.

Thanks Train, actually my DX 4870 has a ub17 after it DX 4870 ub17. Close though. I don't know what kind of power supply I have in it , but I plan on replacing it along with some other things anyway. I only saw one place where I can mount another fan. And yes, I prefer the quiet too when it comes to pcs.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    If you're changing the motherboard, you also need to check the wires connection from the case to the motherboard. If they are one solid connector, you can't install that on a new motherboard. You need the wires to be separated.

It has the Intel HD Graphics 2500
    Check in the BIOS to see if you can share more memory, probably set for 64 MB so I increase it to 256 MB and that makes a world of difference.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883113264

Code:
    Quick Info

Processor
        Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz

Processor Main Features
        64 bit Dual Core Processor

Cache Per Processor
        3MB L3 Cache

Memory
        6GB DDR3 1333

Storage
        1T SATA 7200RPM

Optical Drive
        DVDRW

Graphics
        Intel HD Graphics 2500

Ethernet
        Gigabit Ethernet

Power Supply
        300W

Operating System
        Windows 8 64-Bit

KevinB11--
    Why not ask whomever is going to build the new PC?
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Quote Originally Posted by photolady View Post
    If you're changing the motherboard, you also need to check the wires connection from the case to the motherboard. If they are one solid connector, you can't install that on a new motherboard. You need the wires to be separated.
    I admit that I didn't check that, but I was planning to keep the motherboard anyway. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Welshjim View Post
    KevinB11--
    Why not ask whomever is going to build the new PC?
    That's probably what I should do anyway. I mean tell him what I'm planning to do etc. As it sits, I will have him change out the ps, memory, hdd, and add a video card.

Thread Information