defective Hard drive .. how to turn it off..

Thread: defective Hard drive .. how to turn it off..

defective Hard drive .. how to turn it off..

I have two HDdrives one is partitioned two ways and the other is 4 ways.. The one that is partioned four ways the C drive is defective .. I have ran many scans to fix but it always fails.. so I just don't use it.. Problem is it is named C drive .. my main O/S is on a D drive and the others E / F / I and a J drive . I also have an external drive named K .. both my cd/dvd roms are G and H .. all works fine except the C drive is listed (as you can see by attach) it is listed as 'system' ..

so there are alot of times when some downloaded materials will automatically try and install it self into the C drive .. EVEN though I have my downloaded folder in D drive which is my Main.. I wanted to try and change the letter C to another but my windows XP says it can't rename this system drive .. what can be done to delete this drive without affecting D /E and F drive ..boot harddrives.JPGboot harddrives2.JPG
    Windows 10 Home 64 Intel® Core™ i5-8265U (1.6 GHz base frequency, up to 3.9 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
    17.3" diagonal HD+ SVA BrightView WLED-backlit (1600 x 900) 256 GB - 5400 rpm SATA
    Windows 10 //21H1 (OS Build 19044..2251) 64bit //Google Chrome 118.0.5993.89 (Official Build) (64-bit)/ 16GB Memory/ AMD Radeon HD 7700 series Video Card//N68C-GS FX2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core /[/B]

Well the boot loader is most likely on C so you are stuck.
    Get a new hdd is the best answer.

You can't change the drive letter for the C: drive. Your options are to replace the drive, or make image backups of everything and reinstall. You could also try the procedure at the link below, and then perform a boot repair to move the boot loader, however, there is no guarantee that this will work. You will still need backups in case it fails.

http://windowsitpro.com/windows-clie...m-drive-letter

Thread Information