[RESOLVED] windows 8.1 stuck on updates installation

Thread: [RESOLVED] windows 8.1 stuck on updates installation

Resolved [RESOLVED] windows 8.1 stuck on updates installation

last night i shut down my windows 8.1 machine using the "install updates and shut down" option. this morning i started it and the following screen appeared:

ok. so i waited. and waited. and waited.

after 75 minutes, i had to leave for work (where i am now) but i left the machine on and "getting windows ready".

is this happening to others or just to me? when i get home and it's still "getting windows ready", what is the danger of shutting it down and restarting? what are my options here?

i don't have another pc to connect to virtualdr so i won't be able to report back until tomorrow.

thanks in advance.
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU. 16GB DDR4-3200MHz RGB RAM. 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU. Windows 10. ViewSonic & Asus monitors.

came home. message still on the monitor after 12 hours. no disk activity so i shut it down.

waited a few minutes. started it back up. held my breath.

*WHEW*

started normally!

probably got literally stuck at the end of the update since there was no lag in windows starting.

thanks all for looking.
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU. 16GB DDR4-3200MHz RGB RAM. 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD. GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU. Windows 10. ViewSonic & Asus monitors.

Screwy updating is one of the reasons I d̶i̶s̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ despise 8.1. I tried using the update problem wizard built in to 8.1 but it made it worse. Had to reinstall the OS twice before it started working properly but now I not only install just the updates I absolutely need like security related items but only install a few at a time.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information