Windows 7 and 8.1 Updates won't Install

Thread: Windows 7 and 8.1 Updates won't Install

Windows 7 and 8.1 Updates won't Install

I have a custom tower with Windows 7 Home Premium installed around 4 years ago. I also have a fairly new ASUS laptop with Windows 8.1. For the last 4 - 5 weeks, neither computer will install Windows updates or a Razer mouse hardware update on my tower. Normally after a week or two the updates install as I have both set with auto update.
    I also have MS Office 2010 updates for both PC’s that won’t install.

My laptop with Windows 8.1 will be upgraded to Windows 10 about 6 – 8 weeks after the July 29th launch date so they can fix any potential bugs.

However with my tower, I’ll eventually upgrade most of the hardware (especially to a SSD) and obviously do a clean install with Windows 10. So I’d like to keep it updated.

I’ve tried a number of basic fixes from my Google searches with no results. I’ve even tried installing just the Razer mouse update alone with no luck and I’ve done the Razer updates many times.

I’ve checked my update history and none of the current updates show they were installed. It seems both PC’s stopped updating around June, 2015.

ALSO on my laptop, the “downloading updates” green bar is active but it always stays at 0% complete for hours until I cancel the download. The tower with Windows 7 will show a not installed error message. I’m now up to about 44 Windows 8.1 updates.

Any suggestions on what I may be disabling Windows 7 and 8.1 updates would be appreciated. This seemed to start when MS added their Windows 10 upgrade icon.

Thanks!
    Mike

I have read on some other forums that MS update KB3035583 is causing some issues similar to yours. It is the main update that places the Windows 10 upgrade icon in the systray. Try uninstalling it and see if that helps. I would then hide it when it appears again (you'll need to change auto updates to manual at least temporarily to do that)

You can always manually choose to install Windows 10 in the future without that systray icon anyway.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Thread Information