Thought since I had posted the other thread on Password recovery I'd go ahead and put this one here as well as it may help someone. There are different ways to do a package repair, this is just one of them, the one I'm most familiar with.

How to do Package repair in linux;

Start Computer as usual but hold down the “Shift” key while starting up to make sure you get boot menu.

When Boot menu appears use down arrow key to choose the second option. It will say “Recovery Mode” near the end.

When the next screen loads use down arrow to choose “dpkg Repair Broken Packages” and hit enter. On the next screen click “Yes” to Remount file System.

Repair process now begins, you will be asked once or twice if you want to continue, hit the “Y” key and “Enter” and process will continue.

Final screen will say “finished press enter”. Press Enter to continue.

On next screen choose “Resume Normal Boot” from menu (it will probably already be highlighted) and hit “enter”. Next click “OK” to exit Recovery mode and continue boot process. Computer will restart normally from here.

This usually worked for me, if it doesn't there may be other problems with your system.