What is needed to connect Comcast phone service through my modem?

Thread: What is needed to connect Comcast phone service through my modem?

What is needed to connect Comcast phone service through my modem?

I have moved and will have Comcast phone, internet and TV in my new location. Please, I know all the service difficulties with Comcast, but that is what I have. In ordering the services the sales rep asked if I had my own modem (I do not) and said if I had my own modem I would use it and save the rental. So I thought I would purchase a modem, but none I find has a phone jack as does the rented modem. What would I need to have for the Comcast tech connect my phone service? I know I also will need a router, or a combination modem/router, but again how is the phone connected? Many thanks.
    JGB

I had separate modems for years.

But this is the combined that the phone part uses.
    http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and...-cable-modems/

What comcast uses.
    http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Thanks for the links. With my expertise at a minimum here, I searched online for a Comcast compatible modem/router. I found many with no phone connection, none came up with it -- my searches did not show one, lets say. So I decided to go to one of the big box retailers. The one I went to had a Comcast modem/router/phone connection but he indicated the wireless connection service on it was at a minimum and strongly suggested using a different modem/router -- $10 more -- and then use a VOIP service such as Vonage. I would receive MUCH better wifi with this setup and the VOIP would match the Comcast phone service. I have no way to test his statements -- OH, I can read all the numbers on the box but with my expertise, I am not up to date on what all this means. My question is this: Does the wifi service on the Comcast labeled modem -- exactly the same one is used in my brother's Comcast setup -- really low? I will not do gaming, rarely do streaming of a movie. But I can say this much about my wifi experience with my brother's wifi, sitting about 20 feet across the room from the router. I find at times my little ball on the browser goes around a lot while I am seeking a site, and the other day I was reading words coming across the page in a small window -- not a video -- and they halted as the DL caught up with the computer. My last residence in Memphis had ATT fiber optic service to within .5 mile of my house. The wifi worked well there. How does the Comcast router wifi compare? Maybe not a fair question but it is the comparison I need. BTW, the Comcast compatible unit was $219, the "recommended one" $229.
    JGB

Because of my set up I had the phone modem used just tje phone part and a seperate wired only internet modem and used my wireless router.
    Do not trust those wifi modems.

Thanks for your reply. You qualify your statement with "Because of my setup..." What is it about your setup that is different? But it appears you have the phone/modem such as Comcast would supply but you only use the phone connection from this unit. Then you connect your own router using a cable to the(this modem or do you have a separate modem?) modem and use this router for your wifi supply. Then you comment one should not trust "those wifi modems". Are you commenting on the combination units supplied by the cable company, or any modem/wifi combined unit, and what is your reasoning for not trusting them? Again thanks for your expertise and assistance.
    JGB

Had 2 leads into the apt and I could not run leads through the walls.
    So I used both leads. Wife said " The computers will NOT be in the living room".
    Of coarse she won.

So, I used the 2nd lead into the spare bedroom.
    Iused the phone modem for the phone.
    I used this
    http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/device.php?devid=322
    on the second feed.

Well, you were wise!! Makes good sense to do it the way you did. Thanks for the link on the modem. You did did not address the reasons for not trusting wifi modem combinations. I would like to have your comments.
    JGB

Sorry, but found they were weak and I could not get the control to set the way I like them. This really bothers me.
    Plus those modems seem to last just over one year. Cousin is on her 3rd modem in 5 years.

Hers, one wall and 20 ft was about the limit while my router would go through 4 walls and with a total distance of about 100 ft.

They were standard stud , sheet rock walls to in both places.

These comments help. I happen to have had only one modem/router the entire time with Comcast in Memphis, 3 yr, one router with U-verse almost three years, so their reliability was not something that bothered me, while others, as you illustrate, have had a problem. The strength of signal is a matter of concern, however. Thanks for replying.
    JGB

I was with comcast since 2002 until I moved in June.

Thread Information