[RESOLVED] 'Card Full'

Thread: [RESOLVED] 'Card Full'

Resolved [RESOLVED] 'Card Full'

At one time my Olympus VG-110 was accessible the way any other hard disk is accessed. For some reason that stopped, I couldn't find a driver for it so I ended up depending on Dropbox to 'find images and videos.'

But now I've discovered that Dropbox has not been removing the images, only copying them.

How do I get them off the camera?

Thanks - rev

You have 2 options:

1. Connect the camera to the computer. The card should appear as a drive this way. That is what I do with my Olympus digital camera. If the camera is not seen, you may need to use USBDeview to remove all instances of it (when it is NOT connected), and then try again.

2. Remove the memory card from the camera and use a card reader connected to the computer to access it. It should also apear as a drive this way.

>1. Connect the camera to the computer. The card should appear as a drive this way
    Did that and it did appear as a drive but clicking to see contents 'This folder is empty'

* My card reader supports 8 types of card but not my camera card!
    * The card reader in my laptop supports the card
    * I found CardRecovery software and it did an excellent job of Recovering and Saving all 1300 pics - but it cannot remove them from the card.
    * Got the manual but couldn't find the 'Format' option on the camera, only 'Erase All'
    * Can be formatted using Windows but there's nothing in the manual about whether the format should be FAT32 or NTFS
    * Manual says the camera must do the formatting!

I did it, but what a long winded operation...

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    I always format my sd cards in camera, this is the best way. And all cards I've run are FAT32.

Photolady: I'm sure it is the best way and the manual says it should be done on the camera, but I can't find the option!

Train: I have that manual but it isn't much help.

Page 41 in the manual shows the Format procedures. Note that there are both internal memory and memory card options. You would need to remove the card BEFORE formatting the internal memory.

Yes, I found that on Page 41 but I can't the 'Format' option on the camera, all I can find is 'Erase All.' Maybe I'm incompetent, or maybe the D-700 is not the model variant I have. I will continue to navigate but I'm really not clear (and I don't think the manual is) about what to press in what mode to find the Format options.

I would really like to get back to where I can see the files on the Removable Disk and perform operations directly in Windows without having to resort to other programs or internal menus. I should be able to do that and there was a time when I could.

So, press Menu button, scroll down to Settings 1 option, select and you should see an option to format.

Are you saying your menu is different than that ?

See page 5 in manual for instructions on how to access and move up and down the Setup Menu.

Thanks, I'll try that!

Found it. You have to press Playback first, then Menu and right there is the Format option.

Thanks!

Some of us like to play with the menu and/or any controls on our cameras.......I do. Then I find what I need straight away.

Glad you got it worked out Rev.

I'm ok with computers (used to be an Oracle DBA) but I hate phones and cameras!

I wouldn't know what to do without my Pentax DSLR, er, actually two of them. Has more control and easier to navigate the menu, got a huge manual with both. Only time I've read the manual on either was when I first set them up. LOL Should I say, I love cameras and computers.

Just a last minute update to this thread. In the original post I mentioned that I could see the camera as an additional drive and access it the same way at one time - and that behavior suddenly stopped. Once it stopped I needed recovery software or Dropbox to remove the pics and Dropbox was only copying them, not removing them. Hence, eventually I got the 'card full' message.

Formatting the card from the camera menu gave me back the original behavior! It now appears in Windows as a disk drive again and I can edit, remove, copy, optimize, all on the camera from Windows without any additional tools.

rev

Thread Information