Installed Programs and All Programs ?

Thread: Installed Programs and All Programs ?

Installed Programs and All Programs ?

Would someone please explain to me the different categories of apps, installed programs, and other files on my Dell desktop with XP?

Specifically ..... the listing I get of Installed Programs when I click Start/CP/Add or Remove Programs does NOT show such apps I have installed as Treefree, for example. But Treefree DOES show up on the list of programs I get when I click Start/All Programs.

Yet, other programs, such as iTunes, for example shows up on both listings.

Why is that so? What is the <<basic>> difference between the programs that appear on those two listings?

Thank you. ...... wdc

wdc--
    Most simplistically:
    "apps" are programs. (Apps is a contraction of the word applications.)
    Installed programs are those that you have installed. Icons on Desktop represent shortcuts to installed programs that you have placed on the Desktop (or that were placed on the Desktop) when you installed a program.
    Jim
    WIN7 Ultimate SP1 64bit, IE 11, NTFS,
    cable, MS Security Essentials, Windows 7 firewall

Start/CP/Add or Remove Programs are for apps that use the Windows Installer.

Start/All Programs are shortcuts to the application .exe files. You can have an app that "installs" but doesn't use the Windows Installer. It could still create a link in the Start Menu - Programs.

Depending on the installation options, the app could create a desktop icon, program folder or link in Start Menu, and associate file types to itself.

Programs that show up in yout Start Menu (All Programs) are those that placed a meun item there when they were installed. Not all programs (especially malware, for example) do this, and some programs have an option NOT to place a menu item there.

Programs that appear in the Add/Remove Programs list in Control Panel place registry keys that cause it to show up there, and usually have uninstall information available as well. Again, some programs, especially malware, do not do this either.

Some programs do one or the other, and some do both.

Links:

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_...programs-works

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...n-us/kb/247515

And sometimes the uninstaller is program folder. Not in the Add/Remove Programs list in Control Panel.

Thanks all. I see now why I was confused, looking for cause-and-effect that may not be there.

If I want to remove a program like TreeSize Free (that is NOT) on the Add/Remove list, how would I do that?

... wdc

If there is an entry in the Start Menu - Programs, see if there is an Uninstall TreeSizeFree link.

If not, open the application's home folder (Probably in C:\Program Files\) and see if there is an uninstall.exe or something like that.

Thread Information