starting up computer takes many tries

Thread: starting up computer takes many tries

starting up computer takes many tries

I was here about this once but didn't understand what you needed from me so it was never resolved. I have a desktop using Windows 7 cable Someone told me to change the battery and it worked for a while but now I takes many tries to get computer started. There is a message in BIOS about over clocking but I don't know what that means. If I take the battery out it will start up but have to reset the time. After a week or so same problem starts up again. I am not very computer savvy but will answer any question I can. The information concerning computer is worn off side of computer so cant give any of that info. Thank you for reading this.

Go start > computer - R-click and select properties
    What does it say there under system.

Maybe we can find the manual and reset the BIOS correctly.

Heres the info System Win 7 2009 microsoft Service pack 1
    Rating 4.1
    Processor AmP Athlon (trn) Dual Core proc 2.20 Ghz
    Ram 4.00 (3.25usable)
    32 Bit OS
    No pen and touch input available
    Product Id
    00359-032-5139764-85352

I don't think that is enough information for us to tell which BIOS you have. You may need to use something like speccy to determine which motherboard you have in that computer.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

I think he means this thread:
    http://discussions.virtualdr.com/sho...-error-message

Did you reset the BIOS again? And you installed brand new CMOS battery?
    Again, the "overclocking" error can be caused if the BIOS loses the correct settings.

yes the message is still there and I did put in a new battery. I just remembered I have the box the mother board came in would it have any info you need before I download that thing you wanted me to download? There is a label on the side with numbers on it???

In the last thread, you said you had this motherboard:
    http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/...n.php?S_ID=380

It's odd that a new battery would fail to retain the BIOS settings. Didn't the message go away after you reset the BIOS settings?

Check the motherboard for bad capacitors. Look at the pics on the right side of this page: http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

The message never went away but it worked well for a while. Nothing looks bad like in the pictures.

I set the bios to default and now it seems ok
    You said that it was ok. I took that to mean that the error message was cleared. Next time, you need to say if there is still an error message.

Again, your RAM timings are incorrect if you are getting a DQS error. Did you check the memory settings like I mentioned last time? They should be set to AUTO. Pg.28 of the BIOS pdf shows the DRAM timing screen. If that still doesn't work, you need to let us know exactly what RAM you have in order to manually set the proper timings.

I did set it to AUTO but I don't remember how I did it now. I know you gave me instructions. I thought because it started it was ok but the message never did go away. Sometimes I am not sure what you want me to do like the RAM timings I have no idea what that means. Thank you

Going back to your previous thread, I had posted the link to the MB BIOS manual.
    http://www.biostar-usa.com/upload/Ma...S_081006_B.zip

Pg. 28 has the RAM timings screen in the BIOS. Verify that all say AUTO.

You could also try removing and reinstalling the RAM, AKA reseating. If you have multiple sticks of RAM, you could try them one at a time.

If that still doesn't work, it could be a bad motherboard.

I didn't jump ship I kept trying to get BIOS to open but as soon as I got it the computer shut off. I did this about 10 times and gave up so I don't know what to do but will try again. Thank you.

I finally got into BIOS and set the memory setting to AUTO and it seems to be working it started up the first time I tried today. Hopefully its all good. Thank you very much.

Are you still getting the error message or not?

I just checked and the message is still there I don't know what I am doing wrong so I just give up I am so thankful for your help even though I don't know what I am doing. Thank you.

Thread Information