Blank screen after Toshiba logo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blank screen after Toshiba logo

Blank screen after Toshiba logo

Hi, I have a Toshiba S50D-A laptop running Windows 8. I was working on it the other day and walked away for 3 minutes and when I came back the screen was blank and I couldn't do anything with it. I held the power button in to shut it down and when I turn it on I get the Toshiba logo with the Windows 8 circle spinning under it then the screen goes black and that's it. If you look closely you can see the screen light up a little and then go black, it does this over and over.
    I can get into the BIOS and set it to boot from a DVD to see if it would, but the same thing happens. I don't hear any hard drive activity. I tried an external monitor but with the same results on the monitor.
    I did notice that the air coming out of the side vent is quite hot considering I'm really not doing anything. I blew it out and some dust came out but it still is hot. The fan is working.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.
    Dave

I can get into the BIOS and set it to boot from a DVD to see if it would, but the same thing happens.
    What DVD did you try to boot with?

Does the BIOS even detect the hard drive?

UBCD 5.11 to run a diagnostic on the hard drive.
    Yes the BIOS detects the hard drive.

That laptop is probably using UEFI boot. You might need to change it to Legacy boot in order for the Hard Drive diags to see it.

UBCD 5.11 is a little old. Current version is 5.35. Unfortunately, Sourceforge is down right now.

Totally forgot about UEFI. Disabled it was able to boot with UBCD. However it's a Toshiba H.D. and I not sure which tool to use since none of them is for Toshiba drives. Any suggestions what I can use to check the H.D.

HDD/diagnostic
    and use the seatools for DOS

A list of what is on the disk
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/index.html

Your manual in .pdf.
    http://forums.toshiba.com/tshb/attac...lishManual.pdf

On my Toshiba Win 7, F12 while booting gives me my boot options. Seems to bypass the UEFI mess as i do use it when booting to my Bootable linux sticks and CDs.

OK ran Seatools for DOS and it says Scanning for controllers... No Controllers Detected No Hard Drives Found

Check you BIOS against this.

I'm doing a long test now and I'll see what code it gives me and if it fixes anything to the hard drive. I got the tools working by selecting some sort of INTEL option in the BIOS where I also had the choice between ATA and AHCI.

When I disabled the UEFI it changed the H.D. to AHCI. I'm using the Hitachi hard drive test and it picked up the drive no problem. I'll let you know what happens after it's done.

GOOD news.

OK so ran the hd diag and came back no errors.So I guess now my question is why won't it boot up? (See first post)

Ok. Set your BIOS settings back to UEFI first. You can try booting into the recovery environment and doing a System restore to a previous point.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ings-safe-mode

OK, since this is a fairly new laptop it didn't come with installation media. So I guess I need to try this option, but I don't understand it. "If you don’t have installation media, use the power button to restart your computer three times. This will start the Windows Recovery Environment."

Thread Information