[RESOLVED] Laptop Does Not Want to Shut Down

Thread: [RESOLVED] Laptop Does Not Want to Shut Down

Resolved [RESOLVED] Laptop Does Not Want to Shut Down

This is about a Toshiba Satellite L75 A7285 running Windows 8.

It's my friend's laptop and she said it would power up and run fine all morning but when she shut it down it would not power back up later in the day.

When I saw it there was just a grey screen but I think what was happening is that it never really powered off and the system was hung up all that time. It has fooled me a few times when I thought it was shut down but a day later it's still on.

I went into the BIOS and changed the power setting to default but still it won't shut down unless you really put some pressure on the button for a few seconds.

Other than this it's running ok, any suggestions on what's going on?

Thanks.
    Smokyieus

Thanks for the reply. Was just going to change that setting but can't get past a gray screen today.
    Smokyieus

Did you remove/reseat the battery? You could try leaving the battery out.

Yes, had the battery out and back in a few times now. I can't get it into safe mode (using F 12) and it won't go to Windows either.
    Last edited by Smokyieus; July 17th, 2015 at 04:22 PM.
    Smokyieus

F12 should be the BIOS boot menu. So I'm guessing you can at least see the BIOS screen?

F8 was the button for Safe Mode. You can try Shift+F8. Safe mode in Win8 is different from previous versions.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/107511/how-...-the-easy-way/

Ok, got into Windows long enough to turn off the fast start up setting but after a shut down it's back to the gray screen again.

Shift+F8 is not taking it to safe mode. F12 was bringing up the BIOS boot menu but not now.

What does all of this indicate that's going on with it?

Thanks.
    Smokyieus

Ah, if you had gotten into Windows, you should have tried one of the other Safe Mode settings in the link I posted. Like I said, Safe Mode for Win8 is different now.

So you can't even get into the BIOS now? There could be something else wrong besides just Windows. You could try booting from a Live Linux disc or some other boot disc.

Took the battery out again and put it back in and now it seems it's ok again. Have had it on and off about 5 times. Yes, I did use your suggestion and enabled safe mode and ran the troubleshooter.

Only message was "Driver updates aren't automatically installed when detected by Windows update"

Don't know if that had something to do with it or what but for right now it seems to be fine.

I do have recovery discs if that's needed but looks ok for now.

Thanks for your time!
    Smokyieus

Only message was "Driver updates aren't automatically installed when detected by Windows update"
    That's fine. You don't want Windows update touching your drivers. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thread Information