Tell me about the power bank
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me about the power bank

Tell me about the power bank

So, I got a power bank as a gift. I don't know what the heck I'm doing. I have a cell phone and it has its own charger. So --- my understanding is that once you charge the power bank it stores unlimited amounts of charging power that lasts a long time and can be used to charge the phone; right?
    So I've been charging the PB overnight and it's turning blue. How much power has it stored that I don't have to recharge the power bank again?
    Can I carry it in my purse vs. the charger I have? The manual is in Chinese, so I can't tell you anything more.

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    Can you tell us what the brand name is?

Quote Originally Posted by photolady View Post
    Can you tell us what the brand name is?
    No name, no brand. It was a gift. I guess it's a generic.

Maybe a picture? Or two? Are there any numbers on it?

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I just want to know -- once it's charged, how long will the charge last so that I don't have to use my cell phone charger?

photolady is offline Lifetime Friend of Site Staff
    At my computer, cruising VDR and watching your back
    once it's charged, how long will the charge last so that I don't have to use my cell phone charger?
    Kind of hard for us to answer that question without knowing which Power Bank you have. I'm sure all those out there have different charge capacities. That's why fink asked for photos, or numbers, so we can check the net for you.

Here are images of what mine looks like. It's white and rectangular.

http://www.iball.co.in/Product/Power...h---PC2204/449

https://www.conrad.nl/nl/logilink-mo...n-1040720.html

It's basically an external battery. In the link you posted, that model is 2200mAh.

You didn't say what phone you have. You need to find out the capacity of the phone's battery first. Then you would compare your battery capacity to 2200mAh. For example, the Samsung Galaxy S6 battery is 2550mAh, so your power bank wouldn't even give it a full charge.

Thanks, wow this is more complicated than I thought. My cell ph is a LG 34C. According to specifications the battery is,

LG L34C Cell Phone Battery (Li-Ion 3.7V 1200mAh) Rechargable Battery
    Battery capacity is 1700 http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-...specifications

The box states it's for an I phone 4S, HTC, Blackberry and Sony phone. I don't have any of those.

Okay, so my battery is not "large" enough to take a good charge? Thanks again.

If I buy a powerbank that has the capacity of 1200 to 1700 Mah, will that be good enough for my phone? Thanks.
    Last edited by Sal_gal; July 4th, 2015 at 08:19 AM.

Sal-Gal, your external battery is larger then the one in the phone... That means the external and will charge the phone and have juice left over.

I was given one of these external batteries for Christmas. I have yet to use it and doubt I will. I have a charger at home - office and car.... If I were going on a week long camping trip with no electricity...I'd take my external battery with me.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thanks Steve, so I CAN use the power bank with my phone?
    I am going out of town and could use it.
    The usbs fit my phone, I was just curious to know how much charge it held and how long it would last IF I go out of town for a weekend trip. I don't like taking my long-cord charger with me. I read on the net that it would hold a charge for 2-3 months, and that seemed unbelievable.
    Last edited by Sal_gal; July 4th, 2015 at 11:32 AM.

I read on the net that it would hold a charge for 2-3 months,
    It's really just a rechargeable battery so until it's used to recharge a cellphone it will last for some time.

Why not try it and see how it works.. next time you need to recharge your cellphone use the powerbank and see the results (plus you'll make sure it works.. if it's a cheap knockoff that doesn't do the job you would want to know in advance)

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

If I buy a powerbank that has the capacity of 1200 to 1700 Mah, will that be good enough for my phone? Thanks.
    No, you wouldn't want to buy a smaller powerbank.

According to the links you posted, your cellphone battery is 1700mAh, and the powerbank is 2200mAh.

Instead of mAh (milliamp hours), think of it like gallons of gas. If it takes 1700gal of gas to fill the tank, and the gas station has 2200gal, you'd be able to fill up the tank once plus have 500gal left over (2200-1700=500). Yes, I know that's an insanely huge car, but I hope that helps clear things up.

Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    It's really just a rechargeable battery so until it's used to recharge a cellphone it will last for some time.

Why not try it and see how it works.. next time you need to recharge your cellphone use the powerbank and see the results (plus you'll make sure it works.. if it's a cheap knockoff that doesn't do the job you would want to know in advance)
    I plan on testing it this week, thanks. I just needed some things clarified, from what I reading on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Midknyte View Post
    No, you wouldn't want to buy a smaller powerbank.

According to the links you posted, your cellphone battery is 1700mAh, and the powerbank is 2200mAh.

Instead of mAh (milliamp hours), think of it like gallons of gas. If it takes 1700gal of gas to fill the tank, and the gas station has 2200gal, you'd be able to fill up the tank once plus have 500gal left over (2200-1700=500). Yes, I know that's an insanely huge car, but I hope that helps clear things up.
    Explains it perfectly.

Thread Information