[RESOLVED] How long does it take?

Thread: [RESOLVED] How long does it take?

Resolved [RESOLVED] How long does it take?

I'm planning to make an image file of my c:\ drive for the first time ever. It's about 300 gig - anyone know roughly how long it will take? I've got Backupper, Acronis and of course Windows.

Thanks - rev

It's not the size of the drive it's the am't of data on it. My HD to HD image backups of 50 Gigs take about 15-20 minutes. My image backup from SSD to HD of 30 Gigs takes about 8-9 minutes. All using Acronis.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

300GB partition or 300GB of data?

I highly recommend moving user data to another partition. Your image backups should only contain OS and application files. Including user data will make backing up and restoring longer, in addition to making the image files bigger.

No user data on C:\ only app installs - 300 gig was the amount of data, not the size of the drive.

300GB of OS/applications? Wow. What are you running that is so huge?

It also depends on the RPM speed of the hard drives, and where you are backing up to.

If you are using 7200 rpm SATA internal drives for the OS drive and the backup drive, figure 3-4 hours for the process. Let it run overnight.

5400 rpm drives with one in an external USB enclosure would be slower.

>300GB of OS/applications?
    Folder Size reports that C:\ is only 76 gig, but Windows thinks it's 298 gig. I can't find the difference!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Reverend; June 24th, 2015 at 09:46 AM.

The pagefile and hyberfile should not be backed up.

Could be that some of that mysterious space is used by system restore points. They don't show up in usual Windows file managers. I use WinDirStat to see what's on my drives..

https://windirstat.info/

and it does show sys restore as "uknown". You can reduce or delete unused/uneeded points in Control panel>System>System protection. I don't allow it to get higher than 2 gigs which is more than enough room to save system restore points going back months.

FWIW most modern backup programs automatically ignore pagefile and hiberfile when doing backups. I always run CCleaner before I do a backup to eliminate uneeded files/space. I also run Windows own disk cleanup> cleanup system files for the same reason and TFC file cleaner often gets some they both miss.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I've done all the cleanup, windirstat wasn't able to locate the missing 230 gigs but I found it under System Protection, it was restore points. Max Usage was set to 50% of disk space. So I think I'm ready to make my first system image. Thanks to all!

Thread Information