Blinking Hourglass

Thread: Blinking Hourglass

Blinking Hourglass

I have an HP desktop running Windows 8.1. I use AVG and Acronis True Image. For about the past week my cursor has a blinking hourglass next to it. It blinks about every second. It does not blink when the cursor is a hand or anything other than the arrow I selected when I set this PC up a couple years ago. I have not added anything other than AVG and that was about a week before this started. The blinking does not blink in time to the light on the front of the computer that usually tells me something is working in the background.

It's annoying only because 1. It just started; 2. I don't know why it's doing it and 3. My wife is driving me nuts because she thinks I'm being hacked.

I've run the Windows troubleshooter for everything there is a trouble shooter for and I've done a complete scan for viruses, adware and malware, and I've found nothing.

Disable Avira and see if it stops.

Sorry, I should have noted that I did disable AVG and Acronis separately with no results. I just noticed it is not doing it right now at 7:49am.

When/if it happens again try launching task manager and look in the processes tab to see if there's any correlation between CPU being used by a single process and the hourglass appearing.

http://www.howtogeek.com/108742/how-...-in-windows-8/

Attachment 13203

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

That blinking hourglass is an indication of background process running. It couldn't hurt to run a scan with MalwareBytes as well.

Resolved Solved!!

Ran sfc /scannow and it has stopped the blinking for now. I noticed in Task Manager (thanks Fink) that there seemed to be several of the same system processes running so I performed the scan. It been 24 hours and the blinking hourglass has not returned. My fan has stopped spinning at a crazy rate as well.

Thanks guys!!

It sounds like one or more System files was restored. That may still be an indication of malware. I would still run a MalwareBytes scan, just to make sure it doesn't find anything.

Sound like malware to me and it is still on the computer.

OK! Thanks Guys!!

OK! It's been several weeks and it is still acting normally. I guess that worked. I ran the Malware scan and found nothing!!

Sounds good.

Thread Information