Re:Charms, P C Settings

Thread: Re:Charms, P C Settings

Re:Charms, P C Settings

Hello all, cannot get P C Settings in Charms to work. (Or Microsoft office will not open, work, not showing in programs etc anymore. It is in Programs and features and have tried to Repair it) Been onto Microsoft, by phone and chat and they want paying for this.

My computer kept on downloading Windows updates again and again, they have fixed this free of charge.

I do not want to do a reset, or refresh if it means going back to the start, took me 5 months hard slog to get my computer this far.

Can you please help, thanks, Gep

If this is a recent development, you could try a System Restore back to a date when things were working properly. You might lose a few Microsoft updates, however, it may be one or more of those updates that are causing your issues.

Hello jdc2000, have done this, still no joy.

Thanks, gep

Have you tried to reinstall Microsoft Office?

What happens when you try to access PC Settings?

More details, like any error messages, things you have tried, etc. would be helpful in diagnosing this issue.

Hello jdc2000 and all, thanks jdc2000 for your reply.

I have tried installing Microsoft office, student 2013 at least 6 times. Been onto Microsoft who deleted unwanted windows updates, and checked the rest which took ages. Also, when I try, it says, something went wrong will not install. Have installed, uninstalled e.t.c, no luck.

When I open Charms, click on P C Settings, Nothing happens at all.

Microsoft tech want me to pay £64 one off or £95 a year for their help.

Any ideas to how to solve the above, gratefully received.

I am using Libre office for the time being.

Thanks, Gep

For the Office 2013 issue, check out post #9 at the following link:

http://www.eightforums.com/software-...t-install.html

For the PC Settings issue, check out the links below:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...4-1971e60a5b07

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/broken...nk-windows-8-1

There is also a YouTube video and some other links here:

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en#h...s+won%27t+open

Note that both issues are likely caused by bad Microsoft security updates. Microsoft has pushed out at least one and sometimes 4 or more bad updates each month except 1 since August 2014. If you have updates set to download and install automatically, you may have to change that. These days, I review each update offered and check the issues, if any, with it, before deciding whether to install it. While that is a huge pain, it saves even more pain later if something goes wrong. The PC Settings problem can be caused by an nVidia driver update. I never install Microsoft hardware driver updates if everything is currently working.

If you do get everything working again, you may want to consider starting a program of making an image backup of your system monthly to avoud this in the future. Taht would save you from having to reinstall Windows from scratch and starting over in getting your system working properly again.

Hello All, Downloading Microsofts windows 10 upgrade has restored Microsoft office. Charms works, though different look.

Thought I would report back, all is well for now, look forward to other windows problems ahead, thanks, gep

gep -

You may want to take a look through the Windows 10 forum posts on this site and read through some of them. Windows 10 does not allow you to skip Microsoft updates, so a system image backup program becomes even more important. Also, there are quite a few security settings you may want to review and change. The defaults may not be to your liking.

Thread Information